Disable tailgate automatic lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
This tutorial will describe how to disable the automatic tailgate lock via the key fob and inside door controls on a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn. First I'll start with a list of annoyances/pro/cons.

Annoyances:
- Second lag (and noise) between locking main doors and tailgate
- Tailgate actuator locks/unlocks regardless of being already locked/unlocked
- Attempting to open the tailgate with something in the other hand yet the tailgate is locked because you are at The Home Depot

Pros
- Resolving annoyances
- Tailgate lock will not lock with inside door controls or fob

Cons
- Risk of tailgate theft

Tools required:
- #30 torx bit
- Zip ties

1) DO NOT remove the tailgate cap; it does not have to be removed contrary to my initial thoughts. If I didn't have a bedliner this would have been obvious.

1.jpg

2) Remove eight torx bolts holding down tailgate plate and bed liner if one is present.

2.jpg

4.jpg

3) Remove tailgate plate.

5.jpg

4) Make sure that tailgate is UNLOCKED.

6.jpg

5) Unplug actuator wiring harness and zip tie to unlock bar. Make sure to leave a little slack here because that bar does move about 1/2" when opening the tailgate.

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
Thanks

Have wanted to stop the auto-lock on the tailgate since the day I bought the truck! :cheers:

Thanks a million

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People are never happy. Those w/o auto locking tailgate, want it. Those with it, don't want it. 10 years ago everyone wanted chrome. Now everyone paints their chrome black. :)

I actually really wanted to add the auto lock to my '12 tailgate. However, I recently came across a situation where manual locks would be better. I took the truck into a shop for a tire rotation. I had valuables in the bed -- which I wanted locked up. Thus, I gave them the keyfob, and kept the tailgate key. Yes, I should be able to trust a shop, but I've heard of items disappearing at other locations, and of course they are never responsible for items left in vehicle.

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I'm one that wants the tailgate lock, just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. Hate using my key. Plus my kids baseball gear is back there so if I'm in the store and I lock the truck I'll know it's locked.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmmm. I've never locked my tailgate. Never had a bed cover either. I do have a weatherguard box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Nice write up, it was nicely done. I'd never want to do this one though, I like knowing mine locks when I lock the truck. They're expensive and super easy to steal.

Vancouver604

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
My ram came with the tailgate lock disabled already. wonder if i can enable it if i wanted?

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
I *think* it is an option included with Bighorn and fancier.

haybale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '13 express has it, so it's at least an option on lesser trims. Personally I like it, never heard of it before I brought my truck home the first day. With my old F150, I could never remember to unlock the tailgate ahead of time, so every time I needed to open it, I would have to shut the truck off to get the key out. Plus I was always having to check to make sure I locked it, now I can hear it lock, much better!!!

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
My '13 express has it, so it's at least an option on lesser trims. Personally I like it, never heard of it before I brought my truck home the first day. With my old F150, I could never remember to unlock the tailgate ahead of time, so every time I needed to open it, I would have to shut the truck off to get the key out. Plus I was always having to check to make sure I locked it, now I can hear it lock, much better!!!

You must have a tonneau cover or camper shell :patriot:. Otherwise its useless, unless you are worried about your gate gettin' stole.

mattmaxx877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Who in the heck steals a tailgate and why? Me personally, my 2013 2500 has the tailgate lock and it doesn't bother me.

haybale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You must have a tonneau cover or camper shell :patriot:. Otherwise its useless, unless you are worried about your gate gettin' stole.
Yep, just don't want someone taking it... They are too expensive and too easily removed to risk it IMO. I'd like to have a tonneau, but I need to put big stuff in the bed too often!

Who in the heck steals a tailgate and why?
probably someone who has a jacked up tailgate and thinks you don't want your nice one! I never thought about it till someone stole one off my old truck!

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
Yep, just don't want someone taking it... They are too expensive and too easily removed to risk it IMO. I'd like to have a tonneau, but I need to put big stuff in the bed too often!

probably someone who has a jacked up tailgate and thinks you don't want your nice one! I never thought about it till someone stole one off my old truck!

I only have a $250 insurance deductible for comprehensive so that's how much my new tailgate costs :hands:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
People are never happy. Those w/o auto locking tailgate, want it. Those with it, don't want it. 10 years ago everyone wanted chrome. Now everyone paints their chrome black. :)

hahaha.

So true!!!!

Hell, I didn't even have a lock on my 09. I just installed one a couple months ago. I wouldn't mind the tailgate lock, but for the price of the kit. I have better things to spend my money on.

14RAM1500HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came with the auto locking tailgate and in the menu in the dash I can set to where I believe I can have it lock every time when I lock my truck or not..

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Who in the heck steals a tailgate and why? Me personally, my 2013 2500 has the tailgate lock and it doesn't bother me.

Because they're expensive and they can sell them. I heard of someone who messed theirs up loading an ATV so they drove around parking lots until they found the same model truck on the same color and swapped them.

OP
OP
B

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
Mine came with the auto locking tailgate and in the menu in the dash I can set to where I believe I can have it lock every time when I lock my truck or not..

That must be a 2014 setting. Awesome show, great job, Ram.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2015 that was only built 8 weeks ago already had the lock solenoid fail. Hopefully this is the only problem I have. It will lock but not unlock. Makes a whirring sound when unlocking.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice DIY... i love mine though was soo happy to see the truck had it upon delivery!

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

That is so funny. I had a good laugh while reading this. So true we as a people are never happy or satisfied. We all go through it. We always want what we don't have, don't want what we do have.

Oh!! Life is so hard!!!:favorites13: