DIY Vs. Line-X....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As far as sprayliners go, has anyone ever done your own home jobbie with the spray on box liner cans from Dupli-Color? Or is it just a better idea to get companies like Line-X to do it? I have heard if you are doing it yourself, you need to get the box completely immaculately clean, and it can be a pain to get it all even. My thinking is that it would cover something like Plasti-dip, and I have done lots of that kind of work on my car... so I was wondering if its relatively the same type of job, or if there is more to it than that.

Evan

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have NEVER seen a 'DIY' job that didn't look DIY. That's just IMO.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Honestly if you have the $400-600, then go for it. Otherwise, I have plenty of friends that have used the duplicator and the herculiner, and they looked just fine. Save yourself the money and try the herculiner.

El Phono

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
the herculiner is definitely a better product than the spray in Duplicolor. That duplicolor stuff can scratch off easily while the herculiner can actually take some abuse.

Honestly, though, the Line-X or Rhinoliner are the best. That stuff is indestructible.

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been so up in the air about doing my own spray in liner vs line-x. I will probably go line-x next year just because I don't want to screw it up.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have used the duplicolor, prepped the **** out of it and it still scraped off with ease. For the money I would go line-x. Have heard nothing but good things about em

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If youre going diy, id go herculiner. Ive done my bumpers in it and toolbox, the bumpers have seen tons of abuse, hit big rocks, dirt hills, brush and even a cement poll that put a good dent in them but the herculiner looks untouched. if you do that make sure to use the uv liner to protect against fading. however if I had the money, linex is definitely the way to go, especially if youre doing a bed. the diy kits just dont give you enough to get a nice thick coat in the bed and still arent as tough as linex

RamRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Black Ram express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the herculiner in my last truck, i think it cost me about $90 total and it looked really good but it took alot of prep work, i scuffed the entire box with a D/A sander and some light grit paper then washed, dried, and acetoned it then taped all my lines and rolled mine on in 2 coats and was very pleased and got alot of compliments considering i did it for under $100. I do however run a tonno cover and limited sun exposure so i can say how long it would last in the elements year after year, but under a tonno it will last forever.

OP
OP
EdmontonSS

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks all for the feedback. Line-X quoted me $525, and since I will be abusing the back with hauling stuff, and still undecided on a tonneau cover, I will most likely go with the professional job. Spending the extra bit of green to get warranty and a quality job done, definitely sounds like a good trade-off :)

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you actually use the bed don't do DIY. Its junk. Bought my truck 8 months old and it had a diy job, looks horrible . I'm in the process of scrapping the crap off to have lines/rhinolining done.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have an ounce of pride for your truck you'll save up and do it right with LineX.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a older truck that was rolled with herculiner. It looked okay for a couple of years, about the 4th year bare spots started showing, and around the 5th year there was very little texture left. I have never seen rhino or lineX do this. The bed was not used very often. If you don't mind redoing it every couple of years you could probably save some coin.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've ran some great DYI liners like Monsta liner and not so great like herculiner. I've also had several different spray ins, FMJ, Rhino and Linex. There is nothing better then Line-X IMO. I also think every truck made should have this installed at the factory. I have ran Linex a couple times and from now on that is the only thing I would put in my truck bed, lasts forever and if by chance you scratch it off they will repair it for free. I do like DYI for the cab area, or anything that doesn't get a beating, but for a truck bed LineX is the *******. Here are some pictures of Monsta Liner, you can get it looking real good, but you cannot make it as tough as lineX.

They have a textured roller that allows for the pattern, if you take your time and prep right, nobody would know that it wasn't professionally done. BTW, the paneling was painting with duplicolor vinyl paint, can see it real good in pic 3.

monsta pic

mosta pic 2

pic 3

monsta tailgate

Last edited:

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better yet if you're not in use your bed like a work truck then do yourself a favor and buy a BedRug.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bedrug is definitely a great product, and you can also run it on top of linex too.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Vote is Line-X, expensive but worth it,

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl