Do bug deflectors actually work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After a long road trip down south, my truck windshield looked like one solid piece of bug ****. Just wondering if hood deflectors actually help.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a couple of windshields saved on my cars - gravel smashed the deflector instead. Not sure on my truck though.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
After a long road trip down south, my truck windshield looked like one solid piece of bug ****. Just wondering if hood deflectors actually help.

I have found over the years that they do help to deflect much of the dirt and bugs- but not all. On my ram trucks they deflect most bugs to the top edge of the cab.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In my opinion they're more cosmetic than functional. I drive a lot of miles and with or without a bug shield I get a crap load of bugs. The only spot I don't get bugs is where the deflector is mounted.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of my previous trucks have had bug deflectors on them and I spent a lot of time scrubbing bugs off the windows AND had to replace the windows due to small rock chips that spider webbed out.

My '13 Ram doesn't have one on it and I seem to have far less of a bug problem and less of a rock chip issue...

OP
OP
Cmsharp

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guess I havent seen any bug deflectors that look good on the ram. The rounded hood is a challenge.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I agree they dont look good on the Ram, if you could get a clear one then paint the back side the same color as the truck

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They have protected my hood from rock chips. On my last truck something hit it hard enough to put a dime sized hole in it and crack it. The hood was untouched.

I have bought clear ones for all of my trucks and had them painted to match. I just did one for my '17 sport about 2 weeks ago. I think it came out great. I can hardly tell it is on there from a distance. however my truck is the Crystal black.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Years ago I would use a bug deflector but I finally came to the conclusion they do nothing and plus they are just ugly IMO.

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the looks of some of them on our trucks, (especially the one i bought lol) but as far as functionality goes, i like it for the hood protection it provides. I don't see it doing much in terms of bugs on the windshield, however most of my bugs are farther up the windshield. At the end of the first leg of a road trip (about 8 hours), i noticed a bunch of small chips in the paint on the front of the hood, now the bug deflector protects against that.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

me and a fella ,at work, bought new trucks same year. Both live in roughly same area and drive same roads. I had a bug deflector, he did not. His truck had all kinds of rock chips, right at the front edge of his hood, within 2 years.
Mine was clean , as a whistle, 15 years later, when I traded it in for this truck I have now.

Windshield Kamikaze bugs were an issue, for both of us, but him far more so.
I got more than my fair share but seemed to be mostly the bigger ones. The smaller ones would hit right at the top of the windshield or fly over it, in the slipstream.

I believe they do serve their purpose. Have not got one for this new truck though. It is an Express and I like the single colour scheme. Now I am thinking I need to go inspect my Hoods front edge and make sure no rock chips or will be picking one up, this week.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I agree they dont look good on the Ram, if you could get a clear one then paint the back side the same color as the truck

Did that on my minivan.
Looks good for a few years than the paint gets hinky.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I've taken my AVS shield on/off 3 times now, currently back on. I'm not crazy about the look but it isn't bad.

I bought my 2011 used and there are tons of chips in this area. For that reason alone I'll be keeping mine on for now since it offers good protection of this area.

Repsol69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They have protected my hood from rock chips. On my last truck something hit it hard enough to put a dime sized hole in it and crack it. The hood was untouched.

I have bought clear ones for all of my trucks and had them painted to match. I just did one for my '17 sport about 2 weeks ago. I think it came out great. I can hardly tell it is on there from a distance. however my truck is the Crystal black.

Who makes the clear ones use used?? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
f you carry a camper,the bug deflector quiets the whistle between the cab and the camper,but does **** for actually deflecting bugs.it was like that on my ford,but they look too ugly on the ram to even consider it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500