Door Handle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im about to order some color matched OEM outside door handles to replace my chrome ones and I was wondering if I just swap out the lock on the drivers side or does it come with a new key? Also has anyone done this, from what I heard its a PIA but I have to get this chrome off. If anyone has some pointers lemme have them.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
You should be able to swap the locks over. Even if it came with a new lock/key, that wouldn't match what was in your tailgate lock.

OP
OP
DisturbedGator

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah thats what i was wondering, because in the description it doesnt mention it. has anybody undertaken this task? if its too much a pia i will take it to the dealership

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i too have heard it is a pita, but don't have any experience trying to get the handles off

5.7Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone sell the color match door handles? if so , whats the price and who?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I think I remember a post saying the dealership sold em for like $40 ea or something. That could be very wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

relliK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
PIA but possible.

You'll need an extra set of hands. Glass needs to come out of every door. Front Door (glass comes out top) Back Door (glass comes out bottom). Its worth the fuss to me.

OP
OP
DisturbedGator

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ima give it a go when the handles get here. about 175 for all 4 handles is what i found. im going to check with the dealer, just for the hell of it but i doubt theyll be cheaper. I was pointed to a thread on another forum that details the install. but i will be doing a diy for this forum.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lock cylinder is either threaded in or held with a snap ring.

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ima give it a go when the handles get here. about 175 for all 4 handles is what i found. im going to check with the dealer, just for the hell of it but i doubt theyll be cheaper. I was pointed to a thread on another forum that details the install. but i will be doing a diy for this forum.

Where did you purchase them from? I was going to get my black ones painted to match but for the price you paid it seems cheaper to just buy new ones already painted..?

jasonLmarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll need an extra set of hands. Glass needs to come out of every door. Front Door (glass comes out top) Back Door (glass comes out bottom). Its worth the fuss to me.
FYI, None of that is accurate! You do not need to remove the glass, many of us have done a handle swap without removing glass, myself included.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
FYI, None of that is accurate! You do not need to remove the glass, many of us have done a handle swap without removing glass, myself included.

any chance you have pictures so those that want to do it can get an idea of what to do?

relliK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Method.

I believe it was a PIA if none of you did. No problem, more then one way to skin a cat. Just lending my $.02.