DRLs - it CAN be done!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding DRLs and having them turned on by the dealer. I figured I'd make one new thread that hopefully all the newbs in the future can search and come right to this one. I just picked up my new '17 sport and my dealer was able to successfully activate my amber LEDs as my DRLs. They work perfect!

All I did was give them this sheet - https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf

And they got them working. So, any of you out there with a 2013+ truck who their dealer says it can't be done, it most certainly can!!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know every vehicle sold in Canada has DRL's. Not sure why they don't in the USA

DRL's are not required in the states yet.

If i was to guess about 80% of new cars out there have them.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
There are actually still a lot of cars out there that dont even have automatic lights. Should be a must IMO. Im sick of seeing people driving around at night without their lights on. WTF. This tech has been around since at least the early 90s.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know there are a lot of threads out there regarding DRLs and having them turned on by the dealer. I figured I'd make one new thread that hopefully all the newbs in the future can search and come right to this one. I just picked up my new '17 sport and my dealer was able to successfully activate my amber LEDs as my DRLs. They work perfect!

All I did was give them this sheet - https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf

And they got them working. So, any of you out there with a 2013+ truck who their dealer says it can't be done, it most certainly can!!

Your location says Central Fl...What Dealer did you take it to????? I live out by the orlando int'l airport.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sheet only states 2500 and heavier models. Will this work for 1500 as well?

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your location says Central Fl...What Dealer did you take it to????? I live out by the orlando int'l airport.

Winter Haven Dodge. Either give them a call or if you want drive over there. Speak with Keith. He is the sales rep I deal with, but he will know what tech did the DRL activation process..

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
There are actually still a lot of cars out there that dont even have automatic lights. Should be a must IMO. Im sick of seeing people driving around at night without their lights on. WTF. This tech has been around since at least the early 90s.

I agree it should be mandatory, glad RAM finally added it to all trims in 2015.

Sadly too many people don't understand DRL is not the same as automatic head lights. So you see even more people driving around with no tail lights and dim front lights or just ambers and the brightest light on the vehicle comes from their dash.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had DRL's on my brand new 1990 Mustang GT, my wife and I where cruising Sunset Blvd in 91 when a heavy duty city truck pulled up beside me at a red light and the passenger said "hey your headlights are on" to which I said they came from the factory that way. He was puzzled lol

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I added Haloz to my led lights and have ran them to a keyed power source, not a factory drl by any means but gets the job done.

Attachments

• 20170316_152833.jpg
    20170316_152833.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 101

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Excuse my ignorance, is there anyway we can do it without taking it to the dealer? Why can't we do what the dealer can do? I have a 17 Sport as well and would like it enabled.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
This is not new information... This is the same sheet I used to have the dealer turn the ambers on in my 2015 Sport. My concern is the post on the other thread that stated someone did the same thing in their 2017 and with an update it turned them off and the dealer said they could not turn them back on again...

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Excuse my ignorance, is there anyway we can do it without taking it to the dealer? Why can't we do what the dealer can do? I have a 17 Sport as well and would like it enabled.

In theory you could, but it isn't really possible in practice. You would need the ability to interface with the CAN bus and the information defining what message(s) need to be sent to write the data you want. The first part is possible, but the second part is confidential data and not available outside of Chrysler engineering.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
that is correct and most of those people don't look at there dash. because if they did they would notice the headlight operation light is not on. and most of the no headlight on vehicles round my end of town are crvs or rav 4s and some Toyota Camrys. heck I have even seen high end lexus vehicles that have automatic headlights not on because the ********* turn the switch off lol.