DRLs - it CAN be done!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The DRLs are also brighter than the parking lights, your dash doesn't dim, and it's all automatic.

Agree. I love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are actually still a lot of cars out there that dont even have automatic lights. Should be a must IMO. Im sick of seeing people driving around at night without their lights on. WTF. This tech has been around since at least the early 90s.

Or people drive around with only their dim DRLs on and don't notice. Pet Peeve of mine at it's finest. That and Left Lane cruising.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
As the original OP to the thread "activating DRLs in an US built RAM" I glad the paper work is out there to activate the light if you feel the need to in the US, I personally do believe that DRL are safer and easier to see than no light at all. Dodge eventually ordered me a new $60K truck and my DRLs worked in it. As I originally stated RAM, head office, the plant in Mexico and the MOPAR engineers determined that the wiring in my particular 2014 wasn't there to activate the lights, I don't know for sure, but all those experts, two weeks of work and they ordered me a new truck. So I'll let you come to your own determination on the subject.

I still love my truck, not sure what they ever did with the original truck? I assume they sent it north to colder climates as no one in SoCal would pay for all the winter prep stuff on that truck. If the sheet works for you great. It didn't for me.

Only problem with the 2014 RAM is I don't drive it enough, over three years old and only 30 000KM (18000 miles) on it. I really need to drive it more.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are actually still a lot of cars out there that dont even have automatic lights. Should be a must IMO. Im sick of seeing people driving around at night without their lights on. WTF. This tech has been around since at least the early 90s.

My POS 2000 ZR2 blazer even has has this option..... I want to figure out how to install a system into my K5 when I swap over a newer motor out of a 2000-2005 tahoe....
But as for those driving without lights at night... those are just idiots, there is no fix for that

rossbourne14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay so i did a little digging and didnt see this question brought up, so, long story short, i am buying the oem projector headlights from a member here, my truck obviously didnt come stock with projectors/led strip. so, if i were to take this to the dealer could that function be enabled to have DRL on my truck as it did not come stock that way.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
okay so i did a little digging and didnt see this question brought up, so, long story short, i am buying the oem projector headlights from a member here, my truck obviously didnt come stock with projectors/led strip. so, if i were to take this to the dealer could that function be enabled to have DRL on my truck as it did not come stock that way.

If the code for projector DRLs is available and you ran the wires from the BCM to the lights then it should theoretically be possible. Your best bet is really to just wire the DRLs to ignition-on power, though.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a tough question. Shouldn't take more than half hour for dealer to add the sales code and push it into truck. I had pcm flashed and the drl code pushed and the tech had it done in 15 minutes.

rossbourne14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the code for projector DRLs is available and you ran the wires from the BCM to the lights then it should theoretically be possible. Your best bet is really to just wire the DRLs to ignition-on power, though.

i wonder if there is a tutorial on how to do that? i'm not a complete noob when it comes to these but to have something to go by would be great. i will look into that, that sounds much easier than dealing with my incompetent service dept... thank you for the suggestion! if anyone else has ideas let me know!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had DRL's on my brand new 1990 Mustang GT, my wife and I where cruising Sunset Blvd in 91 when a heavy duty city truck pulled up beside me at a red light and the passenger said "hey your headlights are on" to which I said they came from the factory that way. He was puzzled lol

Haha, reminds me of the time in my 2011 300C when I was following my father in law during the day. He called to tell me one of my headlights was out. I checked the headlights and was scratching my head until one day I saw my reflection while turning... The DRL would shut off for whatever headlight was using a turn signal lmao. He must have looked back when I had my turn signal on.no point explaining it to him since he still refuses to use a 'computer box'

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone swapped the DRLs to white? I'd do this in a heartbeat if I could have white DRLs... Not a fan of the amber color...

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Now this may sound crazy but my truck did not come with these lights seeing it's a 2012 . So my question is can I have that dealer activate drls or does this not apply seeing my truck is older non oem.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think your truck had to come factory with the projectors for it to work.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i need to remove my green tune before I do this...lol got it. This is great! I need the switchbacks now.