DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan.d.barbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there guys! So I Just bought my truck last week and one of the first things that I have noticed that annoys me are the Daytime Running Lights. The truck originated in Canada where it is mandatory to have them. However, in Colorado it's not so I'd like
to disable them if there is a way. The main reason I want to disable them is because I really love the aggressive look of these trucks when you only have on your Amber side markers as well as the fog lights, and the DRLs ruin that look. Common sense tells me "just take out the bulbs". Would that send a fault code if I took out the bulbs? Is there a way to wire them up to a switch instead? Anytime the vehicle is in drive, they are on. (Unless it's dark and the headlights are on) Thanks for any replies and advice, looking forward to what y'all have to say!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't recommend just taking out the bulbs. You wouldn't have any headlights. They can be disabled at the dealer. Did it to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This just goes to show everyone is different, there are several people begging to have them activated in the usa to show off the aggressive look and others who want them disabled

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Logan.d.barbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't recommend just taking out the bulbs. You wouldn't have any headlights. They can be disabled at the dealer. Did it to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't really taken a detailed look at the headlight housing until just now. Didn't realize that the DRLs used the same bulb as the headlights.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
High beam at low voltage looks dumb, but the led portion in the 13+ projectors look sweet, imo.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This just goes to show everyone is different, there are several people begging to have them activated in the usa to show off the aggressive look and others who want them disabled

Almost everyone who wants the DRLs wants the LED style as in the 13+ projectors, not the halogen bulbs.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Almost everyone who wants the DRLs wants the LED style as in the 13+ projectors, not the halogen bulbs.
Good point, my bad i only read it quickly

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point, my bad i only read it quickly

Racefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport
Engine
I'd like to expand on this. Since a dealer can disable them with a computer, anyone know if there is any chance they can program the amber park lights on quad headlights to come on instead of the high beams at reduced power? I have a 2011 and would love to have it like this. I easily disabled my DRLs in my old 2nd gen and always ran with the park lights on. I am in Canada so I don't imagine any dealer would just disable them altogether, but I'd be happy with the parks as DRLs. At least until I can find a reasonably priced set of 13+ projectors.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to expand on this. Since a dealer can disable them with a computer, anyone know if there is any chance they can program the amber park lights on quad headlights to come on instead of the high beams at reduced power? I have a 2011 and would love to have it like this. I easily disabled my DRLs in my old 2nd gen and always ran with the park lights on. I am in Canada so I don't imagine any dealer would just disable them altogether, but I'd be happy with the parks as DRLs. At least until I can find a reasonably priced set of 13+ projectors.

No. It can only be turned on or off. No options to it like that.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just had my 2015 with projectors turned on. I've been asking as I have switchback installed. To my surprise my low beam headlight is what got activated instead of the turns. Now my hids have to be on all the time because they can't run at a reduced power.

2015 ram sport 4x4

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm calling a Canadian dealer tomorrow to see if you can choose between the headlights or parking lamps when activating DRL's

2015 ram sport 4x4

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. Was hoping it was possible with how computer-controlled these trucks are now. Thanks!

I'm calling a Canadian dealer tomorrow to see if you can choose between the headlights or parking lamps when activating DRL's

2015 ram sport 4x4

A simple fix for both of you is the DRL-1 module. Just have the dealer turn off any DRLs you currently have on (if it's not what you want) and install the DRL module. 40$ and very simple to install. I've had my amber LEDs as my DRLs for months now on my 2016 with no issues.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Guy won't sell me one because my switchbacks are toys a novelty item, illegal and whatever else he told me

2015 ram sport 4x4

Racefan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport
Engine
A simple fix for both of you is the DRL-1 module. Just have the dealer turn off any DRLs you currently have on (if it's not what you want) and install the DRL module. 40$ and very simple to install. I've had my amber LEDs as my DRLs for months now on my 2016 with no issues.
My problem is that I'm in Canada and I doubt I can find a dealer who will turn off my DRLs period. It's tied to your VIN or something isn't it? Maybe, if I did the module first they would but I have no idea.

Care to elaborate on how you went about doing yours? Do you have the quad lights also? No issues with any computer systems? I hate to go cutting wires but if it works as good as you say I would be willing. I'm no stranger to modifying stuff to my liking, electrical or otherwise, so it's something I could see myself doing. I'm probably gonna do the foglight mod before long also, to keep them on with high beams. I don't even use my high beams now because they suck, and I can see better with lows and fogs.

I actually considered buying an aftermarket DRL kit for my 2nd gen for this exact purpose (turning on park lights after I disabled DRLs), but it quickly became habit to jump in and pull the parklights on so I didn't bother.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My problem is that I'm in Canada and I doubt I can find a dealer who will turn off my DRLs period. It's tied to your VIN or something isn't it? Maybe, if I did the module first they would but I have no idea.

Care to elaborate on how you went about doing yours? Do you have the quad lights also? No issues with any computer systems? I hate to go cutting wires but if it works as good as you say I would be willing. I'm no stranger to modifying stuff to my liking, electrical or otherwise, so it's something I could see myself doing. I'm probably gonna do the foglight mod before long also, to keep them on with high beams. I don't even use my high beams now because they suck, and I can see better with lows and fogs.

I actually considered buying an aftermarket DRL kit for my 2nd gen for this exact purpose (turning on park lights after I disabled DRLs), but it quickly became habit to jump in and pull the parklights on so I didn't bother.
With the module are the ambers brighter then the stock ambers turned on with out the module?

2015 ram sport 4x4

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the module are the ambers brighter then the stock ambers turned on with out the module?

2015 ram sport 4x4

Well they are now at full power like the trucks that came with the oem leds acting as the drl, compared to half power before I installed my module. The dealer local to me said that they would disable my factory drls, I just haven't gotten around to going back. You can even turn the drls on/off with some of the programmers out there, unfortunately for me Diablosport isn't one of them.