Educate me on winches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just ordered the Westin HDX front bumper and am lookin to outfit it with a winch. I don't know a ton about winch options so I've just begun my research. My truck is mainly a daily driver that shares time off-road during hunting seasons (duck, deer and turkey). Most my terrain for hunting is old rutted up logging roads and light marsh ground. My guess is the winch wouldn't be used a ton but there have been occasions where it would have been nice to clear fallen trees from my trails. I've only got the truck stuck once in a nasty marsh hole that was deeeper than expected. Due to the limited use I don't want to spend a ton. I know most people seem to turn their nose up to harbor freight but they have their 12000lb winch on sale for $289. It seems to get great reviews. Are their any other budget minded winch options out there I need to be looking at?

BigTrout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to have to agree with most other people on staying away from harbor freight. Warn makes pretty inexpensive and respected winches, the smittybilt 8k I had on my old TJ was plenty and had no issues. Imo a reliable winch is worth the extra cost, depends on how much you think you'll use it but I'm interested to see what others have put on their full size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We've had a Harbor Freight winch on our car hauler for years and never had a problem with it. It all depends on how much you will use it, cuz why buy a high dollar winch that's just gonna sit in the front bumper and never get used??? If you're gonna use it a lot then go with something name brand but other wise the Harbor Freight one should work fine for you in my opinion.

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It definitely won't be heavily used but I know it'll be super convenient when it is needed. That's why I'm wanting to go the budget route. I also seem to pull out at least 3-4 people each winter and a winch would make that easier and more controlled.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a smitty built 12K on a receiver for my car trailer or truck, interchangeable. Its been great, no complaints.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
adubree86

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I think I may give the HF a try. Sales associate just flat out told me if you buy the warranty just bring it in broken or not toward the end of the warranty and we'll replace it. He said most guys abuse the hell out of them and return in two years for a brand new winch no questions asked.

scoot33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get a winch and if so, how’s it working out for you?

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HF badlands winches are fantastic quality for the price. buy the warranty, and its like free brake pads from autozone. they will swap it literally no questions asked. I never had problems with my 12k on my wrangler, we recovered a framed 3500 dually ram once with it, some snatch blocks, and 3 other 10-12k winches lol

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Smitty X2o 12k. Synthetic rope, and comes with wireless remote. I had a warn VR8000 and it was very unreliable. Sometimes it would work, and sometimes as soon as it was under load, it would freeze up and not work.

IMG_2264.PNG