Factory air suspension in cold climates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On another forum there was a long thread about problems in winter in Northern US states and Canada discussing issues with the system failing in cold weather. It seems most of the vehicles were 2013 and 2014..For those that have factory air, and live in cold winter climates, have you had problems with newer model years or has Ram figured this out now?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When i bought my 16 the dealer still suggested i dont go air ride. The rebel supposedly doesnt have issues because it has a different system

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in eastern Canada and have air ride on my 2014 Outdoorsman. It has been through 3 winters now, with temperatures as low as -28 Celsius and haven't had any errors or issues. Mind you I don't often try to use the off road modes in the cold like that. But it still self levels and goes into Aero mode without any issues.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I wonder if its because of moisture from the air compressor causing the valves to freeze up? If so, they need to put an alcohol evaporator in line to prevent freezing like on a big truck. Maybe wouldn't be a bad idea for current air ride truck owners to see if they could add one before it freezes.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that the system is a closed type system which uses nitrogen. Haven't had any issues with my 2013 LL. I'm in SW PA
I have read hundreds of Canadian air suspension owners having all kinds of issues.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Maybe freezing isn't the issue then. I did have a 96 mustang with air ride that every time it got to be 45 degrees or less one of the valves would stick even though it was above freezing. I know its apples to oranges but my point is some parts act weird in the cold weather. Driving semis for 20 years has shown me this a lot.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went through a Buffalo, NY winter with my 2016 Rebel with the air suspension and I had zeron issues. Some above said the Rebels have a different air suspension setup....I have not heard of that before.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just went through a Buffalo, NY winter with my 2016 Rebel with the air suspension and I had zeron issues. Some above said the Rebels have a different air suspension setup....I have not heard of that before.
Dealer told me this, dont know if its true or not.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I recently had a truck that was not working. After extensive diag & talking with engineering, I found out that the valve block assembly o-rings have been updated due to sticking in cold Temps. The updated compressor & valve block assembly is rated to - 40°F. I was also supplied an internal email that has been floating around saying to use the a/c machine & vacuum the system. Putting the system under vacuum will boil & evap any trapped moisture

OP
OP
K

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had a truck that was not working. After extensive diag & talking with engineering, I found out that the valve block assembly o-rings have been updated due to sticking in cold Temps. The updated compressor & valve block assembly is rated to - 40°F. I was also supplied an internal email that has been floating around saying to use the a/c machine & vacuum the system. Putting the system under vacuum will boil & evap any trapped moisture

So maybe some corrections to the system after all?

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From Massachusetts and I have a 2014 and this happened to me for the first time today.
I was wondering if it was the cold since the last 2 days it's been zero.
However, I just had the dealer change the oil too, so I am hoping the tech didn't forget to put the truck suspension in jack mode.
It did clear itself up an hour later after some stop and starts.
Hopefully it's not a problem as I didn't want air suspension to begin with, but these dealers seem to order it with all Laramie's.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 16 CC with air. In this latest cold snap we're dealing with there has been a few times the suspension wouldn't work. Couple times on screen it said lowering to entry but didn't physically drop down. Also had msg saying something about suspension cooling down and wouldn't do anything. Will mention it to dealer at next oil change.

bad2013ramsport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 Ram 1500 with air suspension located in Canada, mine has failed every year and by the time they get the parts and the repairs done it's warmer out so it doesn't fail again until next winter.

rvj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Mine malfunctioned when it was bitter cold and it said I needed service right now. I went thru a car wash and got the under carriage wash which thawed everything out and it has been fine since.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got my new one with air ride. Nothing yet and it’s been cold -18C during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro