Factory Spray in Bed Liner unable to buy More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately a friend of mine forgot to close my tailgate when taking something out of the back. I did not notice that he forgot to close it because I stayed in the truck when he was in the back because it was snowing. I have a bed cover so you cant see the gate.. I was also towing a trailer with a spare tire in the front of it. After driving home over 60 miles I had to reverse and commented to him my camera is pointing at the road. My tailgate is open. We then get out and notice his stuff almost fell out. I then grab gate only to get strips of paint on my hands. I then see the top of the gate dented. The top of the gate must have hit the spare on the trailer during a turn.Trying not to lose my Sh$$ on the guy I have to walk away. The truck has 4700 miles on it. Definitely not happy.
PS I need to get a new tailgate.

The issue I am having is that my truck has the factory spray in Bed liner. Since he is paying to have my tailgate replaced and painted I will need to get the liner resprayed. I am being told by the dealer and by corporate that the spray in bedliner cannot be purchased. Only touch up bottles are available.

Has Anyone been told this?? I am being told I need to have an aftermarket company spray it like rhino lining. I sad to them that it would not match the bed if I did that and they agreed. REALLY???
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Luis

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never seen the factory stuff but is it comparable to one of your local companies such as rhino lining or line-x?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could have your friend buy you a tailgate from a salvage yard that is already the same color as yours or at least has the factory liner already on it. Just a thought. I'm sure you're buddy would appreciate saving the extra cash [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Line-x it and quit stressing over piddly stuff.
It will look fine.

OP
OP
L

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you guys are missing the point. I'm also sure that most of you here would be bothered by someone screwing up you brand new truck and you would not be singing the same tune if it was yours.
The point that I was trying to get across is that Mopar sprays on a bedliner that is not sold to the public through their dealer network. To me that should not be the case. if it goes on the truck it should be available. I was also trying to figure out if anyone else had this issue. I would figure replacing a tailgate would happen often will all the trucks out there

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is what it is. If FCA declines to make the product available, not much to be done If it's that big a deal to you, have your friend purchase a "finished" tailgate from FCA. Painted, lined, etc.

I'd pay the extra just to get you to quit whining.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Did he forget to close the gate, or did it open on its own? My tailgate latches didn't close up one day and my gate came down on a trailer jack. FCA repainted the whole tailgate for me under warranty. It was the 3rd or 4th 2016 this year at my dealer to do that.

Also, line-x is better than the Mopar spray in, and it looks the same. Go with that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

chilliin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Line-x is basically the same product. Rhino lining has a more rubbery coating so nothing slides around. You also have a cover on the bed, so yiu never see the lining till you open the gate.

OP
OP
L

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the productive response xrsman. I'm not sure what happened. I do know that the person closes things very lightly and I'm not sure why. Whenever he closes the passenger door in the truck he always has to close it again because he closes it to lightly. I say to him; It's ok to put some umph behind it, after all it is a truck

Not really sure why people would waste their time posting useless comments that benefit no one. Do you really have that much time on your hands.

Can you buy a finished part from mopar (painted). I didn't think they would do that due to the possibility of damage during shipping.

OP
OP
L

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks chilliin i'll check out line x.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I to would go with Line-X, excellent product. Seriously at my age I do not sweat the small stuff anymore, must be from less testosterone. lol

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I would probably kill the person then figure out where to bury the body after that I would then start researching into it haha. But on a serious note that makes no sense to me since when you get the spray in liner as an option they send it out to get sprayed it's not like it magically appears in the bed. Pretty ****** marketing on their part, I would just have my buddy buy me a new tailgate and have it line-x'd. I feel your pain I had my buddy guiding me back in up to a trailer before and ended up smashing the **** out of my passenger side door when he opened the door it is what it is **** happens man life is too short to get mad at medial ****.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get this post, just have it sprayed again somewhere else and problem solved

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Salvage yard for the tailgate and run it to Line-X for the spray-on coating. You can get a nice tailgate from a junkyard. I once picked-up/shipped a MINT complete SRT-10 bed section (with tailgate). I was curious at the time what someone paid for it, because it was cherry, so a tailgate shouldn't be an issue to find.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Salvage yard for the tailgate and run it to Line-X for the spray-on coating. You can get a nice tailgate from a junkyard. I once picked-up/shipped a MINT complete SRT-10 bed section (with tailgate). I was curious at the time what someone paid for it, because it was cherry, so a tailgate shouldn't be an issue to find.

This is what I suggested but I think the OP is under the impression that a junk yard tailgate wouldn't be the same as getting a brand new one. Maybe your expiation will help more. I'd be pissed at my buddy for messing up my new truck but I'd also think man this is my friend I'm sure he didn't mean go do it. If I could save him a few bucks by getting an already color matched gate from a yard that's what I'd do. Material things come and go, friends are there when you need them. Got a little Confucius on y'all [emoji23][emoji23] good luck to the OP hope you get it fixed soon

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know what the tailgate looks like, but they might just be able to repair it. It's worth checking anyway. That way you wouldn't have to worry about matching the liner. I know it's basically a new truck, but it is a friend that made a mistake. I totally get your frustration. I would be the same way. At least with a bed cover you wouldn't see it all the time.

I checked prices on tailgates. They're not cheap. Here's a good place to check junk yards. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01