Factory wheel cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Laramie Crew Cab
I'm on vacation and noticed my tire pressure was low yesterday morning. Took it to a near by tire shop and they found a crack in the wheel. I'm currently running my spare. I have not hit or done anything to cause this. Any chance warranty covers this?

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on your current mileage, but if you're still within the 3-year/36K basic warranty period, I'd be surprised if they didn't cover it. I once had a 2500 with chrome plated wheels and one started to pit and corrode and they replaced it no questions asked.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say if there is no other obvious damage to the wheel, not bent or any signs of pot hole damage, it should be covered as a defective part. That's just me thinking though.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only 19,000 miles. Haven't hit pot holes or anything. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and will keep you posted. Thanks.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership said they did not know if it would be covered or not. They are submitting a claim to see if it will be approved. It may be 2-4 business days before I hear anything. Then they will have to order the wheel if it is covered. I'm disappointed with the customer service so far. Just in case it is not covered, does Anyone know where I can buy a new wheel online?

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd probably be better off to find a used SET online depending on your wheels. Of course you could always try contacting MaMopar directly if your not satisfied with the level of customer care at the dealer and see what they'll do.

To inspect a cracked wheel, I'd assume they'll peel the tire off, inspect for runflat damage, or interior damage to tire. Then they'll spin the wheel on the balance machine bare to check for bends or wobbles. If both of these prove to show no signs of abuse or misuse the claim should be processed no problem, and they'll order you a new wheel.

I don't know why dealers give customers such a hard time, just do the basics, and then submit the claims. If they have to fight with corporate its because they aren't in great standing. Corporate will eat most claims entered by dealers to keep customers happy, but many dealers (mostly their ******** employees) don't want to do the leg work for it. They're paid (low) by the hour regardless of what work they do, or do not do. I've only got two dealers here, and I don't exactly like either one. But the options are limited. Been fighting for 1.5mths on my rubber roof channel replacement under warranty. Its frustrating trying to get anything done these days. Car dealers, or anywhere that should offer retention and or customer service...

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny, i thought that they would have done all of that too. They never took it out of the back of my truck. They took a few pictures and that was it.....

fsuero73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with one of the wheels of my 2017 Laramie. With only 700 miles the chrome in one of the wheels started cracking. I took it to the dealer last Friday and they told me they needed to contact FCA to see if they were going to cover it under warranty since I discovered the cracks while switching my wheels to the limited rims. I got a call today saying they are covering the RIM under warranty. Now I can sell my 4 Laramie wheels. Good luck with yours !!!

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been over a week now of riding around on a spare with no answer yet if it will be covered or not. This is ridiculous. Sure hope I never have a major problem.....

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been over a week now of riding around on a spare with no answer yet if it will be covered or not. This is ridiculous. Sure hope I never have a major problem.....

This is dissapinting to hear. I'd give Ram customer service a call and voice my concern...

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called Ram and supposedly the dealership did not enter the claim into their system until 4 days after I brought it in. This explains the delay. I wrote the dealership an e-mail last night and I'm supposed to hear back from a manager this morning.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manager contacted me today and said the wheel is covered. Now I have to wait for a wheel even though they have about 30 trucks on the lot that have what I need [emoji35]

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Time to find a different dealer-
They could easily put a spare on one of those trucks and put ur tire on that wheel and get u taken care of and then put that new wheel back on that stock truck that is just sittin there, It's not conventional - But it would of probably earned your future business.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree. They have definitely lost my business after this. Over something so simple too.....

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I agree. They have definitely lost my business after this. Over something so simple too.....

I wouldn't be so quick to dump the dealer. I think it's pretty universal in the industry that dealers will not cannibalize a vehicle for parts. They run the risk of causing damage while doing so. They'd have to unmount and mount two wheels, balance them, etc. and couldn't sell or even display the cannibalized truck while it was missing a factory wheel.

OP
OP
st8er

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well they called me yesterday and said they had a wheel and it could be replaced today. The claim was approved and they have a wheel in stock in less than 24 hours so I'm assuming they are taking one off of a truck that they have on the lot. I dropped the truck off last night and will pick it up tonight. They are replacing the wheel and performing my last free oil change. I will definitely use another dealer from now on since I was lied to until I got management involved. It should have never got to that point.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be glad they are replacing it and like they say grass is not greener on the other side the next dealership you go to might be 10 times worse unfortunately.
Yea there is a delay but at the end they are taking care of you and you should try building that relationship
Good luck