Fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014greatwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to put flares in my truck do to the awesome laws of Massachusetts that say your tires are not suppose to be out of the fender. I had taken the flares off to paint them and I noticed they is a rub line all the way where the flares touch the body. Yes I have the rubber seal on right. After doing research and contacting a few companies they all state that due to the vibrations and just normal movements of the flare that this will happen with every brand. Just more of a PSA I guess for people thinking about flares on their trucks. So my flares will be in for as long as I own the truck.

Boots

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You talking about the bushwackers?
Been thinking of getting these, but this observation might be a game changer!

OP
OP
2014greatwhite

2014greatwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You talking about the bushwackers?
Been thinking of getting these, but this observation might be a game changer!

I have smittybilt. When I contacted them to make sure I didn't do anything wrong with installation, they were insistent that it happens with all brands. I have no experience with bushwhacker so I can't say but if you google fender flare rub bushwacker pops up too.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cannot find the same ones my old 12 had. They used 3m tape instead of the rubber against the paint.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I cannot find the same ones my old 12 had. They used 3m tape instead of the rubber against the paint.
This would be such a better option vs. the cheap rubber gasket. The set I got is by Tyger Auto on Amazon. I don't care what happens behind the seal as the flares are never going to be removed.

It's funny, a lot of people say "I'd never put tape on my fenders....blah blah blah". Hope they realize that this is how the oem flares are attached. lol

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Unless you have a STAINLESS STEEL fender---any flare will cause a "wear/pressure/color" change in the trucks paint-

The only way around it, is keep the flare edge out from the paint--right ?

NOPE just accept it and make sure you approve of the flares in the first couple of weeks, before the inevitable happens-

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This has been a known issue ever since they've come out.

Some people apply the clear bra / 3M or wrap that area before putting on the flares hoping to slow down the friction process.

However, I had a buddy who had a set on his truck for unknown amount of years, but at least 4 years. When he traded it in, he took them off to sell them and I was able to buff them lines out. It didn't get too deep.. enough to buff it out.