Fender flares: OEM or POCKET STYLE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So unfortunately I may have to get flares here soon.....I can't decide to save my life. I like the OEM style because they are subtle but due to my offset I don't feel they're going to provide much protection.

What is your opinion? Which would you pick and why?

Truck in question is pictured below for those of you who are lost in the sauce :happy107:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
With how far your wheels stick out pocket will look good, but in my opinion oem protects the paint better because it doesn't use the rubber gasket at the top that can move around

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the other concern is all the guys I hear that have had paint messed up using flares.

Buy ya, I think the pockets would look decent in this application.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
In my experience the oem ones do not harm the paint at all but are not going to give you the coverage. Honestly they don't give me enough coverage on the front wheels

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The bushwacker pocket style appear to have like a rubber basket around them. Not sure though. But I vote pocket style and leave them on and you won't see the paint haha.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think factory paint matched pocket flares would look good on your truck. Can't you just use the same method to intstall the pocket flares you do with the factory ones? Nobody ever complains about factory flares.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bushwacker pocket style appear to have like a rubber basket around them. Not sure though. But I vote pocket style and leave them on and you won't see the paint haha.

They do. I have a set on mine, 20k miles and no rub marks. I took one off the other week to check after seeing someone else's post regarding that here, nothing.

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I like OEM, more for the the look, certainly Pocket will give you better coverage.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't do pocket style! I did and regret it. If you want the look of oem and function of the pocket style then look into the Bushwacker Extend-a-fender flares (or the equivalent style from another brand). They don't provide quite the coverage of the pocket, but pretty close.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Double post, but like these...

Attachments

• bushwacker_fender_flares_extend_50914-02.jpg
    bushwacker_fender_flares_extend_50914-02.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 48

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't do pocket style! I did and regret it. If you want the look of oem and function of the pocket style then look into the Bushwacker Extend-a-fender flares (or the equivalent style from another brand). They don't provide quite the coverage of the pocket, but pretty close.

Do you not like the look of pocket or do you regret it for another reason?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you not like the look of pocket or do you regret it for another reason?

I don't like the look of them anymore and they fuked my paint, so can't really go with a different style. Ended up removing them and Line-Xing everything. But still not 100% happy with that.