Fender Stripes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
See this so very often.. I've always wondered about the history, and the purpose. It all started when I bought a Focus ST a couple years ago, I joined a forum of course and it seemed like every day someone was starting a new thread on these hash marks.

So I did some googling, and some reading up on it (explaination below). Without going into detail just yet, it turns out that this was started by Chevy, Grand Sport Corvette. So I decided that my Ford didn't rate these "fender stripes".

I'm posting this because I'm curious to know how many others actually knew the history, to share some knowledge, and to just get an understanding of why you may have them on your Dodge/Ram truck.

First article I found today, just for reference (I don't take any credit for this)

Grand Sport Corvette
696b35489eac295acb445a121f676182.jpg

30 years after it's last professional appearance in 1966, the name*Grand Sport re-appears on the Corvette. Modeled after the original
1963 Corvette Grand Sport, this 1996 Grand Sport represents all that the Grand Sport was, and all that it should be.The color scheme is based on the Grand Sport that was driven by
the legendary A. J. Foyt at the 12 hours of Sebring 1964, blue with white stripes running over the whole car.
e9bc45c20ad14110f54e6dfa2a78a685.jpg
When the original Grand Sports ran at Nassau in the fall of 1963,
three different colors were used on tape on the front cowl of the cars to help identify them as they passed the pits at speed. Red is used on
the 1996 Grand Sport on the left front fender as a styling enhancer to tie the two generations together.

Grand Sport Corvette

Corvette Grand Sport

IMO

Last edited:

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Thanks for the history. I'm going to file this one into the round bin.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think that when Dodge and Ram separated, Dodge adapted the "hash marks" in their logo and it just snowballed from there.

I like the way they look, I also think race stripes look nice too (they also had a purpose). It's just not my personal preference. Maybe do some in a mossy oak pattern???!
15f085ac49613ed53e9c5a6a5e9872fe.jpg

Either way, It's good marketing.

IMO