Finally decided on tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Knew I wanted to get rid of those crappy SRA's before the white stuff starts falling. Plus they kind of sucked all around IMO. Had decided on the Cooper A/TW, but Discount doesn't carry that one. So hazard warranties could take a while. Next choice was the Cooper A/T3. Nothing but good reviews on it. And finally a Discount only Cooper called the ATP. My buddy is the manger at the Discount I use, so went to see him. His recommendations for what I wanted were (1) Duratracs. That's what he's been running for years on his Jeeps and trucks. He personally vouched for them, and I know he's an honest guy. Been dealing with him for years. (2) the T/A KO2's. He had nothing bad to say about them, except they're more expensive, but he just prefers the Duratracs. And (3) the Cooper A/T3. He gave me what I thought was a decent deal, and he got me right into a bay. So now my 4x4 can actually behave like one. Looks a lot meaner now too. ;)

Quick 5 minute review. Around town they're smooth, stable, and quiet. Same thing on my short highway run. About the only thing I noticed is the squishy feeling those SRA's had was completely gone. Also giving it a little gas coming out of a turn doesn't chirp or spin anymore. When I turned off the radio and a/c, if I listened real hard there was a slight hum. Didn't get any louder when I rolled the windows down. So I'm a happy camper!

wink

Duratrac1.jpg

Duratrac2.jpg

Duratrac3.jpg

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be interested if there is a difference in your 1/4 times and speed???
Jay

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet ride and nice choice on rubber. They are on my short list when the time comes. Interesting that the ko2 is more expensive. Most places around here wince when you mention duratracs and quickly try and talk you into bfg's.

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice. Looks good!

Thanks man!

Be interested if there is a difference in your 1/4 times and speed???
Jay

We'll see Wed, but it would have to be a weight difference. I don't have enough power to spin even the SRA's. ;)

Sweet ride and nice choice on rubber. They are on my short list when the time comes. Interesting that the ko2 is more expensive. Most places around here wince when you mention duratracs and quickly try and talk you into bfg's.

Thanks man! Yeah the KO2's were $276 and the Dura's were $211. So not a major difference, but still another $250. As is woth all the road hazard and everything it was $900 out the door. I trust Dave and he said he gets tires free, and that's his first choice. But like I said, he had nothing bad to say about the K02's. It's possible they might ride a little rougher due to the E load rating and stiffer sidewall. Don't know, this is my first full size truck. On my Jeep all I've ever had was drag radials.

wink

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard of some guy up in Colo that races around in a hot rod jeep. Maybe he can give you a hand working on that truck so you can spin the tires a little--:naughty::naughty:
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The duratracs are very popular with wrangler crowd. Only negatives I heard are, they get noisy when 50 % is worn off,. At 75 % traction suffers in rain and snow. Off road the sdewalls cut easily on sharp rocks. That being said, they will be on my short list when I need to replace the stock tires on the ram.

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard of some guy up in Colo that races around in a hot rod jeep. Maybe he can give you a hand working on that truck so you can spin the tires a little--:naughty::naughty:
Jay

Yeah that guy's a real jerk. He thinks his Jeep is fast or something. LOL!

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The duratracs are very popular with wrangler crowd. Only negatives I heard are, they get noisy when 50 % is worn off,. At 75 % traction suffers in rain and snow. Off road the sdewalls cut easily on sharp rocks. That being said, they will be on my short list when I need to replace the stock tires on the ram.

You know the sidewall thing is what put me off at first and I asked Dave about that. He said it's a huge myth. He's been out climbing rocks and other off-road activities I'll probably never get around to for years. He's never had a sidewall puncture on any of his Dura's or any that've come into Discount. Has he seen flats with them? Of course, any tire can go flat. I did a whole lot of research on this subject and I saw just as many negative things said about the other tires I was interested in too, K02's, A/T3's, Toyo, General, Michellin, etc.. I believe about 2% of things I read on the internet. 3% on Sundays. ;)

wink

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ "3% on Sunday"---Not true--Johnny doesn't have the paper delivered on Sunday up on the hill--he's too cheap
Jay

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My new Duratracs were looking lonely so I got them some little buddies. Hopefully they'll keep the rocks off my vehicle and any behind me. I never liked mud flaps, but these mud guards aren't quite as bad. In fact I think they look pretty good. I'll have to get better pics when the weather clears. It's pretty overcast out there and gonna rain all weekend... But here's a few of the best I got today.

wink

MG-Drv_Side.jpg

MG-Front.jpg

MG-Rear.jpg

MG-Tail.jpg

Mud_Guards.jpg

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
They get really noisy and rotation is key. Did you get load range E, my power wagon come with Load Range D and will put E on when replacing them.

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very Nice!!!! Ill keep these tires in mind when i go to replace my SRA's !!

Thanks man! So far I'm really liking them. Truck feels more stable, steers better, and man do they grab! This is the tire it should've shipped with. No more squishy feeling going around corners. But it does seem the body roll increased a bit.

They get really noisy and rotation is key. Did you get load range E, my power wagon come with Load Range D and will put E on when replacing them.

Time will tell. Can't be much worse than the Toyos on my Jeep. Guess it's what you get used to because I don't even hear those anymore. But I'll be able to rotate these. Can't do that on the Jeep due to the staggered wheel sizes. I know they make these in "E", but I didn't see any in my size. Didn't matter because I didn't need "E" for my intended purposes anyways. These are "SL". Supposed to ride a little less harsh as well. True or not I don't know. So far I think they're perfect for the application. We'll see once the white crap starts falling. That's why I actually bought them.

wink

OP
OP
wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have driven it a bit more with the Dura's and so far looks like I've lost around .5 MPG, according to the EVIC, with these tires. Was averaging around 17 MPG before, and now mid 16's. They are 8 lbs heavier than the SRA's, and with the better grip, likely have a little more rolling resistance. If that's where it stays, then no big deal. Also got my first drive in the rain this weekend. Not pouring rain, but wet streets and wipers blazing. The tires stayed firmly planted at all times. The white stuff test shouldn't be too far off. It made it to just the other side of the foothills yesterday. More on performance in that crap...

wink