Finishing painted mirror covers ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
to me it sounds as if your polishing technique was incorrect if you didnt get shine, ive done a lot of rattle can painting and i usually come out with more shine than the truck already has, also can very greatly on your clear coat used and just how much sanding you did

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So what's the consensus on where I've screwed up? I sanded it, adhesion promoter, painted it with dupli color paint, cleared it with dupli color clear, wet sanded, polished and waxed and I still don't have much shine. It's smooth to the touch, just not as shiny and the other paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a process that's for sure.

I didn't use adhesion promoter. Just primer, then paint.
Like stated you might have to wet sand after paint and/or clear a few times

I did a it a few times, once was because the paint ran.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure I messed it up somehow. Any tips on grit? I used 2000 to wet sand with the clear. I wonder if I don't need to put some thicker clear and then wet sand with 1500 or something a bit more aggressive. I wish I could do something to get more shine out of them.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I'm sure I messed it up somehow. Any tips on grit? I used 2000 to wet sand with the clear. I wonder if I don't need to put some thicker clear and then wet sand with 1500 or something a bit more aggressive. I wish I could do something to get more shine out of them.

i go through alot more steps when it comes to rattle can painting, but my finish comes out perfect each time, after i clear, i sand with 2000, then 3000, and finish up with 5000, by that time is super smooth and glossy and pretty much a little cloudy, but it all will depend on how good your polishing is, a good finishing compound on a DA Polisher is perfect for beginners

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
5000 gritt sanding shine and "cloudyness"

f4a3b90fce5b2873258146f0903c6c7c.jpg

Polished

bb02c4804ef577cbc9058ef4a7db5476.jpg

Rattle can on left outshines the oem on right

b319ca8b0b65f21657423da713f5a0ae.jpg

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What polishing compound do you use? I used turtle wax.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
What polishing compound do you use? I used turtle wax.

Inwont use anything turtle wax, crap products honestly...

I use all chemical guys products personally, as well as a few other high end brands, ive gotten good results out of some meguiars products that come over the counter

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I may try my hand at redoing them this weekend. At this point should I just sand them as smooth as possible and then reclear and then wet sand and polish? Just not sure how far back I need to track.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell, but you might be just not putting on the clearcoat slow enough. Most people are scared of it and try to put it on like regular paint.

You have to watch the leading edge and watch it shine. Practice on something black and you will see what I am talking about. Slow down and put it on thicker.

I've painted COUNTLESS mirrors and it's a pain. It's hard to see, but these are sanded down with just a scotch pad and some mold release spray to clean the plastic. Then 2 light coats of high build primer than sanded with 400 grit smooth. (Hard to see, as the primer I used was black)

IMG_9741_zpsa8xo8rfj.jpg

Of course I used automotive grade paint out of a gun, but still the process for you is the same..

IMG_9947_zps7i5wfzmj.jpg

Paint ONLY - no clear

IMG_9961_zps2tr9ipnh.jpg

and when all said and done. (no sanding/buffing required)

IMG_9995_zps4pzgbwpx.jpg

I would maybe sand yours with 600 grit lightly and not go through the clear.. just knock it down smooth and re-apply that clear slowly as I was saying.

When I paint, the base lays down fast and quick... clear, I have to slow it down and let it build up for the high gloss. Key is to know when enough is enough, or you get runs!

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell, but you might be just not putting on the clearcoat slow enough. Most people are scared of it and try to put it on like regular paint.

You have to watch the leading edge and watch it shine. Practice on something black and you will see what I am talking about. Slow down and put it on thicker.

I've painted COUNTLESS mirrors and it's a pain. It's hard to see, but these are sanded down with just a scotch pad and some mold release spray to clean the plastic. Then 2 light coats of high build primer than sanded with 400 grit smooth. (Hard to see, as the primer I used was black)

IMG_9741_zpsa8xo8rfj.jpg

Of course I used automotive grade paint out of a gun, but still the process for you is the same..

IMG_9947_zps7i5wfzmj.jpg

Paint ONLY - no clear

IMG_9961_zps2tr9ipnh.jpg

and when all said and done. (no sanding/buffing required)

IMG_9995_zps4pzgbwpx.jpg

I would maybe sand yours with 600 grit lightly and not go through the clear.. just knock it down smooth and re-apply that clear slowly as I was saying.

When I paint, the base lays down fast and quick... clear, I have to slow it down and let it build up for the high gloss. Key is to know when enough is enough, or you get runs!

You work in a shop in AZ? My paint job kind of sucked.

rowewor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, here are my results. Sanded, adhesion promoter, about 5 thin coats, resanded, cleared, wet sanded, polished and waxed. Not super pleased. They don't look terrible but they are not very shiny. Just not sure you can get much shine out of a can. Idk if I'll leave them on or not.

43113946998db65a72d6ab900dc8ce4b.jpg

Hey brother, what type of paint did you use? Best color match high gloss white, durable spray paint for your Ram is the Rust-Oleum Acrylic Enamel Gloss White Paint + Primer. I just finished painting my mirror covers as well, and they look amazing! I did a very light sand and cleaned them and painted. The quality of this paint is awesome and the high gloss also helps hide the textured surface of the covers. I will upload pictures whenever I remember to take some tomorrow. I highly recommend it man.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used dupli color originally but I got some Rustoleum gloss clear for trying to polish them out a little now. May undertake that tomorrow.

rowewor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used dupli color originally but I got some Rustoleum gloss clear for trying to polish them out a little now. May undertake that tomorrow.

Ok so I see where you are going wrong with this, not trying to be offensive about it. But using two separate brands of paint is usually not a good idea and results do not come out as you would want them to. I advice you to try the product that I mentioned and you will see for yourself much better results.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I used Dupli color for the color and clear first go around and it did not give me a very glossy finish. I am going to wet sand and see if the Rustoleum clear will give me more gloss. I'm just trying to salvage them at this point.