Firestone Destination MT vs. Mastercraft Courser MXT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright I am finally in the market for some new tires in the immediate future to replace my race car slicks that I got going on with my **** Cepek Fun Country's. I'm going with 35 X 12.50 X 20's again and have narrowed the selection down to the Firestone Destination MT and Mastercraft Courser MXT based on price, performance, tread life, and consumer reviews.

Firestone Destination MT

attachment.php

• Excellent Dry Traction
  • Excellent Wet/Snow Traction
  • Good Ice Traction
  • Excellent Tread Life
  • Moderate Road Noise
  • Tire Weight - 71lbs
  • $1,075 Installed

Some of the reviews I have found on the Destinations have said that with proper tire rotation every 5,000 miles, people are getting on average 50,000 miles and in some cases, upwards of 60-70,000 miles. That alone is making the Firestone very appealing to me.

Mastercraft Courser MXT

attachment.php

• Excellent Dry Traction
  • Good Ice Traction
  • Good Tread Life
  • Excellent Road Noise
  • Tire Weight - 64lbs
  • $1,175 Installed

What appeals to me the most about the Courser MXT is the overall design along with the siping in the tread. My current tires have very little wet traction and just yesterday I could barely keep my truck on the road in a light rain - granted they are severely worn, even at half tread they completely sucked.

So what I am looking for now is for a comparison between these two specific tires if anyone has ran them and what kind of experience you have had - good or bad. I would really love to hear what kind of tread life you have got out of them since I drive 25,000+ miles per year.

Let me know what you think!

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mastercraft MTX appear to great tires for that price.

Can someone help me and let me know what tires size would go on the stock 20" rims, stock truck, no level? It doesn't appear they make the 275 60/20 in the MTX.
Thanks

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Mastercrafts and have only had mine a little over 3 months, but like you I drive WAY too much. I've put 7k miles on them already and so far.. I'm very happy with them.

I haven't noticed much tread wear yet, if any at all, and I haven't got the chance to use them in the snow/ice thanks to El Nino.. but I have got plenty of rain and I believe they do real well in the wet. The road noise is perfect.. not annoyingly loud, but you can still hear them singing. I really like the tires and most likely buy them again when these are done.

Great tire at a great price. I believe you would be pleased with them.

:favorites13:

Attachments

• 20151001_154724.jpg
    20151001_154724.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13,414

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My dad and a buddy of mine have the destination mt's and both love them. My dads lasted on his Durango for a long time and they worked great. My buddy has had them on his ram for a year now and they still look new with around 10k miles on it.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad and a buddy of mine have the destination mt's and both love them. My dads lasted on his Durango for a long time and they worked great. My buddy has had them on his ram for a year now and they still look new with around 10k miles on it.

Thanks for the input!

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really wanted the mud terrain look but after much research and talking to experts I went with the BFG all terrains. I really hated the look of the old design but the new ones look really good and they are quiet on the street. According to some they are actually better in the snow...

Attachments

• DSC02553.jpg
    DSC02553.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4,525
  • DSC02554.jpg
    DSC02554.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 10,813
OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really wanted the mud terrain look but after much research and talking to experts I went with the BFG all terrains. I really hated the look of the old design but the new ones look really good and they are quiet on the street. According to some they are actually better in the snow...

I actually wanted those tires however they don't make a 35 X 12.50 X 20 in anything so on to the next I guess lol

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I actually wanted those tires however they don't make a 35 X 12.50 X 20 in anything so on to the next I guess lol

They do but they would be a 325 60 20 which is 35.4 x 13 wide. Roughly a half inch wider/taller than a 35 x 12.50 , Check them out on the tire rack

Egor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard good and bad mastercraft
My buddy has firestones....they definitely don't look as "cool" but I've put on a lot of tires and they are a quality tire but then again I put Nitto trail grapplers on just cause they look good lol so it's ultimate up to you!
:D

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've heard good and bad mastercraft
My buddy has firestones....they definitely don't look as "cool" but I've put on a lot of tires and they are a quality tire but then again I put Nitto trail grapplers on just cause they look good lol so it's ultimate up to you!
:D

Do either of you have any input on light snow conditions on the Destination MT's? That is the only thing holding me back from clicking buy right now haha. Some say they are decent and then others say they are almost completely unsafe. I also realize it depends on the vehicle and driver as to how well the tires may perform.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My dads Durango was a tank with those tires. Even up until they were damn near slicks it worked great with those tires on it. My buddy said he is impressed with his to in the snow last winter.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dads Durango was a tank with those tires. Even up until they were damn near slicks it worked great with those tires on it. My buddy said he is impressed with his to in the snow last winter.

Good! I said screw it and bought them last night lol. Got 4 35X12.50X20s for $964.82 including tax. They are being shipped to a local tire shop to be put on for an additional $56 where I am also going to have my truck aligned. I couldn't find a comparable tire for the price that meets my needs for tread life and traction.

OP
OP
Stringer

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I can honestly say that I am impressed. These tires are great so far and have around 250 miles on them already. They gripped no problem at highway speeds in moderate rain. The road noise is barely existent as well. I can't wait to see how these fair in the snow and what kind of tread life I end up with. But in the mean time...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I'm running Courser M/T's on my Ramcharger, and while a different animal, this is my first ever set of Mastercrafts (35x12x15), and I've been most impressed and satisfied with their performance - moreso than I've ever been with a Firestone product... FWIW.

PIC_0008_zpsa452ae7e.jpg

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
I love my courser mxt's, such a beefy tire! I have about 7k miles on them, they do great on road and off-road. Rain makes no difference, the road noise is barely existent, and the one time I had them in the snow they did pretty well. They handle dirt and grass roads with ease. My next set of tires will be exactly the same, courser mxt's, just in a bigger size. They're also one of the lightest mud terrain tires out there.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good! I said screw it and bought them last night lol. Got 4 35X12.50X20s for $964.82 including tax. They are being shipped to a local tire shop to be put on for an additional $56 where I am also going to have my truck aligned. I couldn't find a comparable tire for the price that meets my needs for tread life and traction.

Dang that's a deal. Where did you order them from?

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright I am finally in the market for some new tires in the immediate future to replace my race car slicks that I got going on with my **** Cepek Fun Country's. I'm going with 35 X 12.50 X 20's again and have narrowed the selection down to the Firestone Destination MT and Mastercraft Courser MXT based on price, performance, tread life, and consumer reviews.

Firestone Destination MT

attachment.php

• Excellent Dry Traction
  • Good Ice Traction
  • Excellent Tread Life
  • Moderate Road Noise
  • Tire Weight - 71lbs
  • $1,075 Installed

Some of the reviews I have found on the Destinations have said that with proper tire rotation every 5,000 miles, people are getting on average 50,000 miles and in some cases, upwards of 60-70,000 miles. That alone is making the Firestone very appealing to me.

Mastercraft Courser MXT

attachment.php

• Excellent Dry Traction
  • Good Ice Traction
  • Good Tread Life
  • Excellent Road Noise
  • Tire Weight - 64lbs
  • $1,175 Installed

What appeals to me the most about the Courser MXT is the overall design along with the siping in the tread. My current tires have very little wet traction and just yesterday I could barely keep my truck on the road in a light rain - granted they are severely worn, even at half tread they completely sucked.

So what I am looking for now is for a comparison between these two specific tires if anyone has ran them and what kind of experience you have had - good or bad. I would really love to hear what kind of tread life you have got out of them since I drive 25,000+ miles per year.

Let me know what you think!

Can I ask where you are getting the Firestones and installation at that price? TireRack is $227 per tire plus shipping to me in Illinois (warehouse is in IN). $1038 total. Best price I've seen so far. Then I need them balanced and installed, as of now $140 for that at the local tire shop. Just curious as to where you are getting it for $1078. Thanks

Local Firestone dealer has them for over $300 a piece. $1400+installed. Seems a bit out of line when they are the manufacture/dealer and TireRack sells them for $227per. I get that TireRack sells volume but damn.

Dex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone have any opinion on toyo mt 35/12.5/20's? How do they compare to these tires we're talking about here?