fluid film in rockers/cleaning them out or not.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
fluid film and washing/ reaplication before winter (my mistake)

Hi all, about a month ago I applied fluid film all over the underside of my truck, I was just wondering if it was okay to spray off at the car wash? the car wash has a flex head nozel and did not seam to be super high pressure (nothing like a hotsy/steam jenny)

my question is did I wash away my previous fluid flim aplication and can I apply more after letting the truck dry for a few days? I was under it this afternoon and it seamed clean and the aplication seamed to still be in place , my truck spends 90% of its time on paved roads. Also around where I live no snow has fallen yet, so no salt yet.

one more thing, when they say clean the underside, they are talking about caked on dirt/mud? mine to me seams very clean.

thanks.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
fluid film acident.

hi all, long story short my wife bought me a set of factory fender flares and gave them to me early so I could have them painted and installed before Christmas.

I fluid filmed my truck about a month ago and her giving those to me blind sided me a tad; however i'm excited to get them on. I made the mistake though of spraying the back side down the other day at a self service car wash

My question, is would it be okay to reapply fluid film to the certain areas of the truck before putting them on and re applying regularly under them once they are on and is it okay once the water has dried off the underside of the truck can you reapply the fluid film or do you have to strip it and start over?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would reapply. not sure it would wash off easily as that would mean reapplying after every rain storm.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Fluid film does not normally wash off in one instance. It is meant to last for close to a year with normal wash cycles unless you really put a stringent cleaner to it.

I would say you are fine without the need to reapply.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
any special cleaning I would have to do if i wanted to add more? Or just make sure it's dray and spray away? Honstly when I climed underneith the truck it still seamed very clean. It seamed to have not acumulated much road grime at all.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not meaning to hijack the thread from the OP, but I have a question on that Fluid Film. I did that on my truck for the first time and weeks later it's still "oily" feeling. I thought it was supposed to turn more waxy and stay put. I can't see it lasting if it's still fluid.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i guess what I am asking is, would it be okay to do touch up on places that I have missed?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
i guess what I am asking is, would it be okay to do touch up on places that I have missed?

You do not have to overthink Fluid Film, so long as you are not apply over heavy caked on road grime, you can reapply and touch up as needed.

When I apply it each season, I just do a general manual car wash wand pressure spray to rinse of what road crime there is, let dry a day or so and then reapply. Does not have to be super clean to reapply and be effective.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not meaning to hijack the thread from the OP, but I have a question on that Fluid Film. I did that on my truck for the first time and weeks later it's still "oily" feeling. I thought it was supposed to turn more waxy and stay put. I can't see it lasting if it's still fluid.

If you used the rattle can, the carrier agent tends to take awhile to dry. It will eventually turn to a slight greasy film which is the lanolin.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
okay thats what I was wondering, its been a month since I appled it, but I since want to spray under the fender liners again on the steel panels, it has some very fine sand like acumulation, but this is very miniscule. So it should be okay to spray away? I have the 360 degree nozel and it works great ( jsut want to make sure I did not miss anything.

My truck is always on paved roads (never off road) just want to get one last application before my fender flares go on and salt on the roads. my biggest concern is the side steel panels, I dont want them to rust.

where I live tomorow and saterday are the last warmish days. 45 degrees plus (thank goodness no salt on the roads yet.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
okay thats what I was wondering, its been a month since I appled it, but I since want to spray under the fender liners again on the steel panels, it has some very fine sand like acumulation, but this is very miniscule. So it should be okay to spray away? I have the 360 degree nozel and it works great ( jsut want to make sure I did not miss anything.

My truck is always on paved roads (never off road) just want to get one last application before my fender flares go on and salt on the roads. my biggest concern is the side steel panels, I dont want them to rust.

where I live tomorow and saterday are the last warmish days. 45 degrees plus (thank goodness no salt on the roads yet.

Go for it.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
sorry to overthink it, I am a researcher by trade, it's part of my job haahahha. Gald to know it will be okay, and when they say clean they mean caked on debris.

I guess to me it is strange that in this day and age a product can still be simple.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
fluid film soked undercoating.

would anyone be concerned about fluid film soking into undercoating and making it soft and tar-like? Im not so sure as to if this would be a bad situation because it would penitrate to the primered metal behind the undercoating.

anyconcerns with this, like traping moisture and water behing the undercoating?

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
okay because I did a small section under my truck with traditional rubber undercoating (probbly a 1foot square inch section) underneith on the primered sheet metal. I never scufed it up. I totally forgot about it when I diescovred fluid flim and I applied it this fall. I was underneith it the other day and found that ff did make it soft and tar like.

so no adveres effects from the fluid film soked patch on the primred sheet metal? for example holding in water and causing rust in that section?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If the surface you applied Fluid Film to was dry to begin with, it will repel water and not trap not let any creep of water underneath it.

Fluid Film has been around for over 75 years with a proven track record. No need to over think it.

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
rocker panels and fluid film.

I have seen a few things about rust on the rocker panels/ cab corners. has anyone stuffed their rocker panels with fluid film and re stuffed them?

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mines stuffed with rustblock undercoat. Along with the rest of the underside / inside panels of my truck.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fluid Film washes off too easily IMHO.There are better products out there.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
How is it going to wash off inside the rocker panels when reinstalling the black plastic plugs

I removed those plugs last year and looked inside with my work snap on video scope
Spotless and brand new comes to mind - I didn't even spray anything it was so damn clean
Looked like the factory clear coated or had something over the inside metal

Also make sure on the backside of rockers your black factory tape covering the holes didn't come off or loose

I used black gorilla duct tape years ago covering those holes on the backside after pulling off the cheap factory stuff

Still look brand new with nothing come loose or off