Frame mounted side steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Anybody know of any side steps that mount to the frame rather then the body? I took my stockers off because I am worried about body damage if I come down on them while off roading. My wife is now complaining that the truck is too high and has given me the go ahead to buy some aftermarket ones.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Aluminess. They dont mojnt to the frame but are strong enough to handle abuse. I plan on getting them on my wagon.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive only found ones that mount to the body. i have 4 inch oval westins and they are great, and im not exactly light (265 lbs). most steps are going on the body and the body mount, goodluck to you in finding the frame mounted ones though!

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a sest custom made that moun to the frame rails by a member on another ram forum. If you want the info or pics shoot me a pm

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even the cheap ones attach with plate like bolts putting pressure on a long portion of the body, and even if a rhino stepped on it and somehow broke it it wouldn't be visible. And even on the off chance you broke it, it wouldn't be hard to weld. If you really want to find frame mounts that's cool, but I wouldn't worry one bit about mounting them to the body. That part of the body is completely separate from the visible part of the body, just saying. I'm 220 pounds plus and several times I've bounced on mine to show off how secure mine are.

When off roading body damage sometimes happens regardless, scrap having any steps and put on rock sliders instead if it's that important. I had triangular rock sliders that acted as steps on my jeep, guarded against body damage and could use them as a step. I can't remember the name and I don't know if they have them for a ram, but I remember they attached at the body mount. I think they are smitty built. Even if you have a frame mounted step, if you went over a big enough rock, they would likely smash into the body. The tube will be weaker then where it attaches to the body in my opinion. The tube will just smash on a rock with the weight of your truck. A true rock slider will protect you more. The supported triangular shape gives you a lot of support for going over rocks.

Do a search for rock slider instead of tube step, you will get a ton of body mounted sliders and some will also act as steps. Once you get the right rock slider you can always modify it to accept a step for the missis, and it will protect you from any damage from any rock or mound.

5790832021_128afd69b6_z.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

58d1139014172-rock-slider-design-and-tech-dsc02165.jpg

Last edited:

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My father was very picky about mounting and ended up going with Raptor side steps. They attach to the frame at the body mounts, so VERY sturdy.

Here are a few pics I have of them:

DSC_0451-edited.jpg

DSC_0450-edited.jpg

DSC_0446-edited.jpg

DSC_0447-edited.jpg

DSC_0449-edited.jpg

2ramsinaweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Raptors and have a problem with the pads breaking off. Contacted them and waiting on a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Deezee on mine so far so good