Frame rotting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well today I discovered something very disgusting after noticing one day last week that Ine of my fuel tank straps had undone. Ok no big deal. As I got it on a lift this morning. Realized it wasn't as easy of a fix as originally anticipated. Dropped fuel tank to realize that the frame was rotted out. So we patched it up and stuck tank back up there. Holding for now. Heading to the dealership Monday morning to go search for a new truck. I've had nothing but issues with this truck and this was the final decision maker that I am getting the hell out. 2010 ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 113k
Not sure what I am going to get quite yet but I do know It will be throughly gone through before I choose. I've never had so many problems with any ram I've ever had until I bought this. Anyone ever seen or had this happen to them?

A truck this new should not be doing this... giving up on it

394ebbbc80919d11baeb23aa898564b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jljbtm

Reaction score
I'll have to check my 2011 and you say its above the fuel tank? How did you see this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll have to check my 2011 and you say its above the fuel tank? How did you see this?

Front strap fell out. Checked and saw that. We just welded a little patch and threw the tank back up.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Are you still under warranty

jljbtm

Reaction score
Wouldn't this be considered a safety issue? Recall?

OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wouldn't this be considered a safety issue? Recall?

I looked never saw anything related to frame rot in 2010 ram I don't think they would do anything.

OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
894224b9c4879d09a560fdc0b759ee6a.jpg

How we fixed it. And I found a thread on another forum and the guy said Chrysler would not cover under warranty. Even with his lifetime. So trading it in for something newer idk if I will stick with dodge after this or not. As much as I hate to say that

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a nice looking repair, sorry you have had so many issues.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
quality dodge ???

check out others, like toyota....they ALL have the same issues

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
op, that is not normal. i live in jersey and was shocked how little rust was underneath my 11.

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have a 2012 and live in the snow belt of Ohio. There is very little surface rust on my frame, definitely no rot or corrosion. This is more like what I would expect to see on a vehicle from the late 70's-early 90's.

OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2012 and live in the snow belt of Ohio. There is very little surface rust on my frame, definitely no rot or corrosion. This is more like what I would expect to see on a vehicle from the late 70's-early 90's.

Yeah.. this isn't something normal for a 7 year old truck. I live in northeast Ohio. "Salt belt" and I've never seen a dram this bad on anything I've ever owned. My oldest ram was an Ohio its whole life. it was a 95. Perfect condition Fran wise. 286k truck was fluid filmed. When I purchased it. There's no reason for this much excessive rust. Enough to keep the unsafe because of the hazard or tank falling out... I fixed it the only way I knew. Now I'm going to get out of it. And try to get into something new. No more of this used bs I got burned bad on this one. If there's anyone from Ohio. DO NOT use Haasz automall in Ravenna for used sales. They make them look good. That's about it. I'm going to junction auto in Chardon which I should have done in the first place but I was in a pinch.

I would check really good in between tank where they sit. I wouldn't doubt if I'm not the only one in Ohio that has had this happen to. Or will be the last one this will happen to. But Chrysler should really be doing something about this for us that live in the salt States. I'm going to try and call corporate Monday before I go into the dealership. See what they have to say. If they tell me to pound salt. I'll be leaving the ram lineup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
quality dodge ???

check out others, like toyota....they ALL have the same issues

Truck is 7 years old. No reason it should be having the frame rot out. Next time you feel the need to bud in because of a quote on my picture. Keep it to yourself. I've had plenty of rust issues on this truck already with the bed doors fenders and the only thing Chrysler covered was the bed. Almost all the rust on bed and fenders was because of the factory mud flaps.

I've Owned plenty of older trucks that the frame was in better condition with double the miles and age. This is totally unacceptable. I'd really like if one of the Chrysler people on the site would chime in. Before I call corporate and figure this out on my own. This is a defect that us salt state drivers should not have to deal with ourselves like second gen was recalled for hood latch in all salt states.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You should have seen the frame on my '96! Bought used out of NH in 2001. The tank also fell out when it was 10 years old. I never really cleaned the bottom of any of my vehicles but a few years ago I got a 90* wand for my pressure washer and spray the bottom every weekend (weather permitting) Hope to prevent such rusting now that I am starting from scratch.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
This is why I have mine treated....if you are in NH look up NHOilundercoaters....they have been coating trucks for years....when I bought my 13 I have brought to them every year to be treated...stuff works. It's also only about $175 treatment. Fluid film and corrosion 3000 are similar products.....NHoil makes their own oils now as well as redistributes them to those that are interested in starting to spray...they even have black tinted oil....nice thing about these oils is they never hardened eventullay wash away...just need to reapply!:roflsquared:

jljbtm

Reaction score
Toyota does have a huge frame rot problem in their trucks and I understand they are (replacing) not repairing these frames

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 is going in tomorrow to get sprayed with rust proof. If you live in the salt belt you need to protect your truck.

Netman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks simply like poor engineering. Looking at the bracket, there doesn't appear to be a drain or weep hole at the lowest point. It looks like it would just fill up with water/salt/dirt/whatever and just sit there up to the level of the strap opening rotting away.

Great repair work though!

I'll have to make sure mine is well oiled.