Front end clicking when turning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I turn my steering wheel I sometimes here a clicking sound when it is almost all the way to the left or to the right. At first I only noticed it when I turned to the right, but now it is both sides. And it does it when I'm either driving slow or parked. What could this be? It is like two quick "click clicks" and that's all. Someone said tie rods and another said cv axles. It is a 2WD and I have the Mevotech UCAs and a 2.5 inch spacer on them. Could the spacers be causing this to happen? I have to take it to the dealership on Monday for 3 recalls and if I can self diagnose it before Friday, maybe they can have whatever part I need to fix it then too. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!

jakeacline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 1.5" spacers and I rub on the wheel well lining, so that might be your problem too

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Mine does this clicking as well. It's a 4wd with no spacers. Not sure what it is...I just ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After looking around online I have found people on other forums saying that their track bars are bad. And they had them replaced under warranty. The sound they described is just like what I am hearing so I'm going to have the dealership check it out on Monday and see what it is. Hopefully they won't notice the spacers and try to say that caused it cause some of the people with the issue have not changed their trucks. The dealership is good to me though, they greased my Mevotechs and did it under general maintenance so that way I wouldn't have to pay for it and warranty covered it ha

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Dealership says that it is my spacer moving in there when I turn....dunno if I believe that or not. But they say its fine to drive with....

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been noticing the clicking sound too. Only when turning while moving though. I have 5100 installed on the front with slightly bigger tires and I'm also 4wd.

I thought it was maybe by sway bar, but I'll check the track bar in back.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the sound anything like below?
https://youtu.be/SFsuQCnmVh4

if it is then i had the truck recently at the dealer and initially they thought it was a liner or something similar, they fiddled around and the sound didn't go away.
next they removed the brake pad and re-tensioned the retainers and also applied high temp grease to hold the pads in place.
two days and i haven't heard the sound - will update in-case anything changes.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow...if mine sounded like that I'd be tearing the front end apart. The sound mine makes is like a random click sound that I can't always do something to get it to make the sound.

My truck only has 18k on the clock and if it persist I'll be forced to take it to the dealer.

Anybody know a good Mopar dealer in Houston? Clear Lake Dodge isn't working for me.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Dealership says that it is my spacer moving in there when I turn....dunno if I believe that or not. But they say its fine to drive with....

That's BS. The spacers should not move. That would be dangerous if they did.

And I run spacers and don't have any issues.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea I know. I don't think it is the spacers either. But it doesn't seem to affect anything as of yet. Hoping it won't!

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the sound anything like below?
https://youtu.be/SFsuQCnmVh4

if it is then i had the truck recently at the dealer and initially they thought it was a liner or something similar, they fiddled around and the sound didn't go away.
next they removed the brake pad and re-tensioned the retainers and also applied high temp grease to hold the pads in place.
two days and i haven't heard the sound - will update in-case anything changes.

This is EXACTLY what it sounds like. Mine don't click that much, just once or twice when turning hard left/right. And it'll sometimes do it when I take it out of park and go into R or D, it'll click once and then stop. I'll be looking into this! Thanks!

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Now that description sounds more like what mine is doing.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a very similar clicking noise last year on my 2014 4x4 before I leveled it with bilsteins, at 12000 miles on my second tire rotation I applied brake grease between the caliper piston and the pad and my click has not come back for the last 18k miles ...

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a very similar clicking noise last year on my 2014 4x4 before I leveled it with bilsteins, at 12000 miles on my second tire rotation I applied brake grease between the caliper piston and the pad and my click has not come back for the last 18k miles ...

This sounds like my problem......and remedy. Definitely will try this and post results.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm calling the local dealership tomorrow and I'm going to let them know that this could be the cause and see what they say. I'll let you guys know tomorrow afternoon and I'll hopefully have it fixed next week. It has started doing it more and more the past few days.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I finally had a chance to take the pads off the truck, applied brake grease on the back of the pads. Sound has significantly got quieter, definitely doesn't make the sound as frequent as it did before.

Awesome $1 remedy from the parts house.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I don't know the specifics or even your application, but don't most calipers and pads have little clips or little tabs you bend to tighten the clearances, just so the pads dont move around and click like that? I think my LHS or Stratus had these little clips of varying thickness you could use to tighten them up. I think my 1st Gen had the tabs on the pads to tighten. them up. grease seems kind of a temporary solution.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@ Rusty....more than likely they do. But I'd rather have the dealership look at them and make sure there isn't something a little more that needs to be done. Hopefully it is as simple as some re-tightening and greasing!

I'm at the dealership now and I showed them the video and what was suggested to fix it. Hoping the Tech agrees with me and does it. Maybe I can get him to sneak some new pads on too since these may have some issues or be worn wrong :naughty:

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just an update....I'm still having this problem. I couldn't understand how brake grease would fix it but it was worth a shot.

I only hear the click/ clicking sound on acceleration and it's not in sync with my speed nor rpm. However it only happens in low speed. So yea....I need to find a good ram dealer in Houston cause Clear Lake Dodge service advisors are a bunch idiots.

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea it has finally stopped raining here so I can listen for it. When I turn all the way to the left I no longer hear it. But when I turn to the right, I hear it sometimes. So maybe it did help. Maybe it didn't. I'll crawl under there in the next few days and see if I can figure something out myself cause I think most techs don't really care.