Front stake body holes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey guys, i went to open up my front stake body pockets this weekend. I thought they were just capped, but it appears the top bed rail covers are actually molded shut? There is an outline of where they are though.

Should i just cut them open with a utility knife? Or am i missing something? I see the opening on the rear ones are similarly outlined, but the actual holes are smaller than the outline.

Thoughts?

Thanks
G

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
basically yeas just cut them open.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I purchased my 2016 it had the chrome bed rails. Not being a fan of them I took them off. When I took them off it appears when it came from the factory they cut along the outline to open them up for the front of the bed rails. I would've had my old bed rail caps to sell but I wound up breaking the clips off of them when I installed the new caps.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks much guys. That's so dumb they made the scribe line bigger than the actual holes. I thought they were smaller when i was poking around over the weekend.

I don't have a router and have no clue what bit he was using that would cut without scratching the paint?

I do have a dremel tool that i could probably use to cut that in a similar way, but I'm not sure about the bit. I'd probably scratch the paint.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok, it's a proprietary router bit with ball bearings on the end for a guide. That makes sense, Does not help me though. Lol!

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
Ok, it's a proprietary router bit with ball bearings on the end for a guide. That makes sense, Does not help me though. Lol!

BTW, you can buy the router bit from Bullring for $12.00. Or, you can call a local LINE-X dealer and ask if they will cut it for you. LINE-X dealers are exclusive Bullring reps (other than Amazon or buying direct from Bullring).

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
BTW, you can buy the router bit from Bullring for $12.00. Or, you can call a local LINE-X dealer and ask if they will cut it for you. LINE-X dealers are exclusive Bullring reps (other than Amazon or buying direct from Bullring).

Nice thanks for that. I'm planning on getting my bed line-x in the very near future so i will ask them to open up those holes for me before they do the bed. Great info, thanks!

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Update;

Well, i ended up getting a rhino lining!

I called the local lineX dealer and asked him to cut my holes open for me when they do the bedliner install.

I was told, no, they won't do that without a bullring sale! They said it's cooperate policy. Total bullcrap!

So because they woukdbt6 open up my holes, 10 min or less of work, they lost a $500 bedliner sale.

Completely redicilous. The good news is that the rhino hybrid liner i had installed looks extremely good and I'm very happy with it.

So at this point i have 2 options.

1) buy the bullring bit for $12
2) just cut it open along the outline and not worry about it.

Not sure which I'll do, but it's irritating to have to go through this just to get my high side tie downs exposed.

Anyone know if the bullring bit comes with instructions? I read one post where someone bought and used the bit and still damaged the paint.

I'd imagine the bit would have to be set very shallow so the ball bearings contact the inner stake body hole and the cutting part of the bit just hits plastic.

There can't be more than an eighth inch or so between the rail cap and bed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I did mine, I used a box cutter, made a hole in the center of the outline and carefully, pushed through the plastic until I found the edge of the hole, with light pressure so I wouldn't cut into the paint. Then carefully cut along the edge in each direction. Took about a half an hour, the cuts weren't perfect but they are covered up by what was installed.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Edit: what he said^^^^.

I cut mine out myself with a utility knife. Start at the center and work your way out; the marked pattern doesn't exactly match the hole below. Any imperfections can be covered up with the bull ring.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok , thanks guys. I don't want a bullring, i just want the holes open in case i want to use the upper tie down points. I guess I'll use a utility knife and maybe start off with a hole saw so i don't have to cut as much.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok , thanks guys. I don't want a bullring, i just want the holes open in case i want to use the upper tie down points. I guess I'll use a utility knife and maybe start off with a hole saw so i don't have to cut as much.

Just take your time and use light pressure to avoid hitting the paint under the plastic rail caps when you get to the edge.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Just take your time and use light pressure to avoid hitting the paint under the plastic rail caps when you get to the edge.

Will do, thanks.