Getting hood painted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm getting my performance hood painted. One of the shops said they recommend getting the left and right fenders painted so it can match the hood, otherwise the color could look off. Is this common practice. There is also a $150 quote difference between the shop the dealer uses to paint parts, and one I found.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've got a newer Ram....there's no reason to paint the fenders so they match the hood. Sounds like a load of you know what.

You could use that logic to justify painting the doors then to match the fenders and so on.

I think you'll notice a minor variation in the hood to fenders less than a variation from fenders to the doors.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
long as the quality of the hood painting theres no need to paint the truck. I have a 2 year paint difference between my hood and the rest and there is no difference

OP
OP
H

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
long as the quality of the hood painting theres no need to paint the truck. I have a 2 year paint difference between my hood and the rest and there is no difference

All the shops I spoke with again said they would spray the upper left and right fenders, i'm assuming it won't be the whole panels.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
they just want more money from you lol

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
All the shops I spoke with again said they would spray the upper left and right fenders, i'm assuming it won't be the whole panels.

Yeah this is a common practice now. I have seen the results of them stopping the paint on the body panel (whether it be a hood, door, or whatever). Then I have seen where the paint the panel & then blend in to the next panel. If you are **** like me, it is easy to pick out which one has not been blended.
We had some damage that had to be repaired on our 2014 Durango & for some reason they blended one side & on the other they just painted the door. It's weird, if you are standing on top of it, it's not noticeable, but put some distance between you & the vehicle & it sticks out bad. My wife is not OCD like me & it bugs her too.
Shop supervisor is about as **** about as me so I just need to run it over there for them to fix it.

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW.... I just bought a pre-painted bumper cover off of ebay and it perfectly matched the paint on my 4-5 year old truck with 50k miles on it.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Just paint the whole truck.

:popcorn:

That's the best idea yet:favorites13:

Generally speaking, if the shop has an idea of paint matching then it shouldn't be impossible to match your truck without shooting the fenders.

Some colors are more difficult to match due to metallic content, size etc but a painter worth his salt should be able to match it close enough to make it look original. I'm not a painter, I've done a few cars but an amateur, but it sounds like they think it's easier to be close and color the fenders than to spend the time to do it right and match the hood.

I'd look until I found a good painter. JMHO.