Getting new rims. Transfer TPMS or replace them with new???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am looking at upgrading wheels soon. My first thought was to get new and skip the hassle of having the old ones​ removed from the factory rims. What have you done to keep the TPMS functional?

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i would see how much labor would be charged to take them out of the old wheels and then put them in the new wheels and re balance all 4 wheels. Then compare that to what it will cost to just get the new wheels with them in already.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can buy oem tpms sensors cheap on ebay. not worth taking them out of the stock wheels imo.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are u keeping ur old rims and tires or just rims? When I put my new rims and tires on I trashed my tires and kept my rims so just kept the stock sensors. Tire shop didn't charge me for labor I think they get money for the recycled tires.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive gone thru several sets of rims and I've always exchange my Oem sensors to the new rims with no issues. The shops I've gone thru charge no extra to remove or add but they obviously would if they were to provide them.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks guys! Looks like either way is fine. The more I think about it I will probably sell my factory rims with the current tires once I get my new ones. I'm guessing they will sell easier if the sensors are included.

Greg

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! Looks like either way is fine. The more I think about it I will probably sell my factory rims with the current tires once I get my new ones. I'm guessing they will sell easier if the sensors are included.

Greg

To save you money it'll be better if you just swap them to your new wheels. It won't be a deal breaker if they don't come with the sensors.
All the rims Ive boughten haven't had the sensors so that's why I swap them.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
To save you money it'll be better if you just swap them to your new wheels. It won't be a deal breaker if they don't come with the sensors.
All the rims Ive boughten haven't had the sensors so that's why I swap them.
Good to know! Its probably pretty obvious by now that I have never upgraded factory rims before.

Thanks all!

Greg

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
life expectancy of a tpms sensor is 7 years if you're lucky.sheesh guys,do a simple search before you post.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch. That was harsh

Not really ... we aren't children any more. Coddling isn't required.

Doing searches is an intelligent first step. It would save repeats of topics that appear over and over and over ( need I go on?) again. You often find extra information that doesn't appear in every post that is very beneficial in the end.

For example: the TPMS unit consists of 2 parts, the valve stem and the sensor held together with a torx screw. If you move the TPMS sensors to new rims, you are supposed to change the valve stem part which might occur when the valve stem is removed from the 'old' rim.

Last edited: