Great cheap upgrade!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some reviews on Amazon for the DeeZee product describe a poor fit for a 2011 Ram 2500 and a 2004 Ram and a remedy with washers. Not sure if that's the same problem though or something different. But it sounds like DeeZee did need to do minor modifications for some applications

I found that adding an additional large washer to the new strut bolt afforded clearance to the strut and prevented the strut from rubbing against the painted body and tail light assembly. Once the strut is bolted in place, the foam cable wrap will keep the factory cable from pinching between the gas strut and binding while opening/closing. One last key adjustment that prevented the factory cable from binding up against the tailgate side of the strut mount when closing was instead of removing the factory installed travel limit washer, I just flattened the tab that limited the rotation of the cable connection. I didn't want to remove the washer as it locks in place and prevents the cable mount from chaffing the paint.

when I went to shut my tailgate it didn't want to shut. I discovered two large scratches where the head of the damper contacted the side of the tailgate. The supplied washer is too thick causing the damper to cantact the side of the tailgate. I had to run to the hardware store to pick up a thinner fender washer. While I was there I also picked up a washer to replace the limiter which the instructions say must be removed. The limiter protects the paint where the cable attaches to the tailgate and without it the cable will wear away the paint. Putting a washer between the cable and the tailgate takes care of this.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
This came from Dee Zee.

"Dear sir, looks like we will be redesigning the product for better fitment. This is still out 2-3 weeks. Once we make the change we can replace your tailgate assist for the new & improved item.
I look forward to assisting you when the item is ready.

Thank you,
DENISE “DEE” ENGLISH

Customer service dept.
Account manager
800-779-2102 ext 1364
Fax: 515-265-7926
[email protected]"

Well that's cool that they will replace it for you. They must have received a lot of complaints. After your post yesterday I checked mine - no rubbing or scuffing and the tailgate looks perfectly centered, so I must be one of the lucky ones.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just got mine today after reading this thread, jegs performance had them in stock. Mine is an 07 ram and it works perfectly, one of those items I wished I would have bought year ago. Thanks so much for the post, would have never thought of this handy little mod

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does this make the gate any harder to shut

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
I was under the impression our gates have torsional assist already. Mine is super easy to lift. I may be wrong.

Sent from my happy place...

No they dont have any assist, but they did go on a huge diet. My '13s tailgate is EASY to close. My '03s tailgate seriously weighed like 50 lbs.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a EZ Down on my 03, works great, no issues. And yes the early gates are heavy.

OP
OP
Vancouver604

Vancouver604

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Bump for the missed members .