GTR lighting HID VS morimoto HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm stuck between the two. Have heard good about both, but which one is more worth the purchase?

I have a 2017 sport.

I'm going 55W 6000k lows in my factory projectors and 55W 3000k in my fogs.

Only thing I saw in reviews is that the GTR kit in the fogs do not blind on coming traffic because they very closely resemble the stock halogen beam pattern. Not only that but they're also lower to the ground and not in everyone's face. Obviously don't have to worry about the projector lows.

I'm not sparing expense on my headlights. And I do not want LED nothing can beat HID. LED is getting closer but not quite there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackEdition1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Samsung or Apple. Mac or PC. Mercedes or BMW. Everyone is going to have an opinion.
Buy one, if you don't like it send it back and get the other.
The 2 brands you posted are good. I would go with the Morimoto's because 1 I have used them for years in different makes and models of cars. Only had one bulb blow out. Which got replaced for free. 2. They are a cheaper price point. 3. Countless forum members on this forum alone who will attest to the Morimoto's.

I belong to an Evo forum. The members who's cars did not come with HID, you guessed it, they bought the Morimoto's. You will see this on most car forums of people who are buying aftermarket HID kits. Sure other brands will be thrown around. But Morimoto is pretty much a household name for car/truck enthusiasts.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any nonsense about "resembling halogen beam pattern" is coming from marketing or somebody who has no idea what they're talking about. Incandescent, HID, and LED bulbs all produce light in very different ways. Because of that, they will all behave differently in the same housing. This is why you should never run HIDs in halogen reflectors. You can kind of get away with it in the fogs because they're low enough that the glare will likely be below other drivers' vision.

Your best option if you want performance is to open up the lights and put in a proper HID projector. But, I realize that's not for everyone. You don't get the same performance out of the stock ones, but you won't blind anyone either.

Morimoto is going to be higher quality than any of the others "kits" you're going to find. There is better stuff out there, but since you can't run OEM bulbs you're going to be limited in your choices anyway. Make sure you also get the harness they sell for the newer Chrysler products. I haven't heard anything about the 17s yet, but the 15 & 16 are super picky about lighting upgrades and I expect that continued.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I'm gonna also throw in my vote for morimoto. Highly suggest looking into getting them from retroshop. He is a member and vendor here and has great customer service

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
X2 on Morimoto. I've used them on two Ram trucks and have been very pleased with them.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any nonsense about "resembling halogen beam pattern" is coming from marketing or somebody who has no idea what they're talking about. Incandescent, HID, and LED bulbs all produce light in very different ways. Because of that, they will all behave differently in the same housing. This is why you should never run HIDs in halogen reflectors. You can kind of get away with it in the fogs because they're low enough that the glare will likely be below other drivers' vision.

This is coming from a side by side comparison of different led and hid bulbs in a ram halogen fog light housing. There is definitely a difference in output between brands and the how well the light hits that halogen reflector. And every bulb hits that reflector different by how the bulb seats in the socket. Hid A looks better than hid B and looks a hell of a lot better than any LED. Although they were not testing morimoto the gtr lighting kit have almost the exact same pattern as stock than any other brand.

There is also a MAJOR difference in performance between brands. Ballasts are obviously the most important part of the whole thing. Some have faster warm up times than others. The old ballast in my charger started to flicker very slightly after a year (I swapped bulbs it was definitely the ballast)

Regardless of what type of projector you are using there will be a major difference with a hid bulb.

909d581abbc82b94267491e6036051a2.jpg3cc228fc8687e1295ff56eeb66e7e847.jpgf6ace4e55cb80f9ae8867ac9ceb3c49f.jpga59c8a3355140769029b9ce5d13d8646.jpg I see very different beam patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk