Headlight Options Non-projector lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the market for new headlights. I have the non-projector headlights on the 2016 Ram 1500. I don't want to get HIDs cause I don't have projectors. I would like to eventually retrofit but right now im not going do that. What lights do you recommend? Sylvania? LEDs?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So are you in the market for new "headlights" or are you in the market for new "headlight bulbs"?

Sent from hell via TapATalk

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just go with sylvania ultra or Phillips bulbs they are not much brighter but the white light output makes it seem brighter.
Thats your best bet now for just a simple bulbs swap and for the $$$.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I put the Silvania Silver Star Ultra ZxE's in my quads last june. Not as good as an hid/projector upgrade, but a noticeable improvement and still going strong.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sylvania zxe's were bright as hell for a halogen bulb....but not sure on life longevity. Some say it's not that great.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking for just bulbs.... I have seen the ZXE's and have considered but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am in the market for new headlights. I have the non-projector headlights on the 2016 Ram 1500. I don't want to get HIDs cause I don't have projectors. I would like to eventually retrofit but right now im not going do that. What lights do you recommend? Sylvania? LEDs?
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=95801

There ya go. Only $110 ($100 if you use the 10% off promo code). The best lighting your gonna get without spending big bucks for a retrofit or oem projectors and an hid kit. You won't find any Halogen that even comes close to how clean of a "cut off" those led bulbs have. For being in a halogen lense, they project the light perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Install: Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Low Beams **UPDATED WITH NIGHT PICTURES** - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

There ya go. Only $110 ($100 if you use the 10% off promo code). The best lighting your gonna get without spending big bucks for a retrofit or oem projectors and an hid kit. You won't find any Halogen that even comes close to how clean of a "cut off" those led bulbs have. For being in a projector lense, they project the light perfectly.

As i mentioned i have the non-projector quad housing... will that be a too much light ?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As i mentioned i have the non-projector quad housing... will that be a too much light ?
If you had looked at the link i posted you would have seen i put those bulbs into quad housings. There is pictures of the led bulbs output at night, with driving shots from the drivers seat, photos of the lights 5 and 15 feet from a wall and more. They were installed in the low beam of 2012 black housing Quads.

I posted that link because it literally goes over everything about those led bulbs in quad housings, which is what you asked about.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were you I would consider doing the H9 swap. You can modify the tabs to fit a H9 high beam bulb in the H11 low beam opening. It's easy to do and there are guides on the 'net. It'll be alot brighter without being blinding, although you may have to aim the lights down slightly.

I've run both the H9 and LED's in my quads and the H9's definitely gave more light. The LED's seem brighter because the light is pure white, but they don't throw the light as far down the road.

My experience with LED's was they were fine around town where you have adequate street lighting, but were not great in the countryside where it's pitch dark. I did really like the pure white of the LED's over the yellowish color of the halogen bulbs, but the H9's seem a little whiter than H11's.

Just a thought, YMMV.

10DollaOffCupon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=95801

There ya go. Only $110 ($100 if you use the 10% off promo code). The best lighting your gonna get without spending big bucks for a retrofit or oem projectors and an hid kit. You won't find any Halogen that even comes close to how clean of a "cut off" those led bulbs have. For being in a halogen lense, they project the light perfectly.

Did you have to install any canbus fuses for the LEDs to work? I can't open your pics on my phone for some reason so if the answer is in there I apologise.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you have to install any canbus fuses for the LEDs to work? I can't open your pics on my phone for some reason so if the answer is in there I apologise.
Yes the Opt7 kit you buy comes with Can Bus Capacitors. They are inline which means they plug right in and thats it. No resistors or grounds. No ballasts or harnesses. Its really really easy. Just a bulb. A small 2 inch by 3 inch led driver box and the canbus capacitor thats about 4 inches long. Aside from removing the headlights, putting the bulbs in and connecting the wires only took me about 2 minutes, if that.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

10DollaOffCupon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool thanks. Been looking into LED upgrades but I couldn't find a solid answer.
Do you know if a relay has to be installed for every LED kit? So if I replace my taillights with LEDs I need a relay for them as well or is the issue only with headlights?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cool thanks. Been looking into LED upgrades but I couldn't find a solid answer.
Do you know if a relay has to be installed for every LED kit? So if I replace my taillights with LEDs I need a relay for them as well or is the issue only with headlights?
I have no idea about the taillights ... all I know is with the headlights you don't need anything extra. The opt7 kit includes everything you need.

RamRod13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put the Opt7's in my low beams and fog lights a couple of weeks ago. Total cost was less than $200, super easy to install, and the light output is incredible. Go with the Opt7's, you won't regret it.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just put the Opt7's in my low beams and fog lights a couple of weeks ago. Total cost was less than $200, super easy to install, and the light output is incredible. Go with the Opt7's, you won't regret it.
Did you get the $99 FluxBeam LED's or did you get the $109.95 FluxBeam-X LED's?

I've had the FluxBeam-X LED's in my low beams of my quads but I sold those headlight housings and the bulbs went with them.

Now I just got my TYC Projectors and I'm hoping to squeeze a set of the FluxBeam-X LED's into them.

RamRod13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get the $99 FluxBeam LED's or did you get the $109.95 FluxBeam-X LED's?

I've had the FluxBeam-X LED's in my low beams of my quads but I sold those headlight housings and the bulbs went with them.

Now I just got my TYC Projectors and I'm hoping to squeeze a set of the FluxBeam-X LED's into them.

I got the FluxBeam-X. Not sure how much of a difference there is since I have nothing to compare it to. Based on the specs on their website I figured it was worth the extra $10 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got the FluxBeam-X. Not sure how much of a difference there is since I have nothing to compare it to. Based on the specs on their website I figured it was worth the extra $10 though.

Good choice. The FluxBeam-X are about 3 years old, and are just a older technology. The FluxBeam-X's just came out Nov. 28th 2016 so they have the newest technology and also they are a few cm smaller so better chance trying to get them to fit the projectors.

Oh and like I said I've had the FluxBeam-X bulbs installed in my quads for 2 weeks and they were insanely bright and looked amazing.

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Will the Opt7 kit run hot in the headlight enclosure? In other words, will it melt adjacent plastic or wires? I'm considering upgrading my dim low beams as well.

RamRod13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will the Opt7 kit run hot in the headlight enclosure? In other words, will it melt adjacent plastic or wires? I'm considering upgrading my dim low beams as well.

From what I have read from others, there shouldn't be any issues. I have to replace my passenger side headlight assembly (full of condensation) in the next couple of weeks. I'll check when I have everything apart.