Headlight swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my headlights. My current headlights have 2 bulbs the ones I'm looking to upgrade to has 1 bulb. Is there a quick and simple why to change from 2 to 1? Or is it not worth the time?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like your looking to swap quads for duals which is actually not an upgrade lol. All the lights you go with to upgrade should have 2 bulbs. One for your high beams and one for your low beams. Do a search in the exterior forum. There are about a million lighting threads that should give you some better ideas. Sounds like you need to do some more research[emoji106]

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I can shed a little bit of light on this subject (Hur Hur) I recently picked up a 98 dodge sport which has a bunch of confusion over whether it's a single or double headlight. It is single but to digress. By going from a two bulb setup, having one as normal and one as bright, you will have to some rewiring for your headlight wiring harness as well As switch to a dual bulb. Beyond that I am not sure how well wiring will work as you move more towards the cab of the vehicle if it'll interfere with anything or any subsystems linked to the lights. Hope this helped a little

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your looking to swap quads for duals which is actually not an upgrade lol. All the lights you go with to upgrade should have 2 bulbs. One for your high beams and one for your low beams. Do a search in the exterior forum. There are about a million lighting threads that should give you some better ideas. Sounds like you need to do some more research[emoji106]

Yea I don't know much about it. That's why I'm asking

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I don't know much about it. That's why I'm asking

So if your truck is a Big horn or below trim level you either have Quad lights or duals. If you have 2 bulbs then you have the quads. An upgrade to get better lighting would be either LED bulbs in the stock housings or switch to the newer OEM style projector lights and add HIDs. You can also retro fit projectors into your stock lights and add HIDs there. Check out the retro shop for lighting if you want to go the HID route. There is a thread here by @OnSale that covers using LED bulbs in the quad housing

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
fce1417c4d3df20c92f5fd627e5c289f.jpg

OEM projectors

2e66149c80e6b1f8d0272716feb40931.jpg

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my headlights. My current headlights have 2 bulbs the ones I'm looking to upgrade to has 1 bulb. Is there a quick and simple why to change from 2 to 1? Or is it not worth the time?

Thanks

These Are The DUAL Style Headlights (Uses 1 Shared Bulb For High & Low Beam)
e9cd0ffc9302f1016e5e4ed750f7656c.jpg

These Are The Quad Style Headlights (Uses 2 Bulbs, 1 For High & 1 For Low Beam)
4a2d348b07905bfd1038e886e7e7b374.jpg6b1b346a1b56dad5c177055262ddda97.jpg

These Are The 2013+ OEM Projector Style Headlights (Uses 2 Bulbs, 1 For High & 1 For Low Beam)
2086ee2785b5d80851b9def88ac27592.jpgefa12b2320140fc91191be17db70f85c.jpg

Which style do you have??

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
fce1417c4d3df20c92f5fd627e5c289f.jpg

OEM projectors

2e66149c80e6b1f8d0272716feb40931.jpg

Lol I must have been typing up my reply as you were posting yours... that's funny.

Let us know which style you have and we can help you chose a better light bulb or upgrade your lighting.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I must have been typing up my reply as you were posting yours... that's funny.

Let us know which style you have and we can help you chose a better light bulb or upgrade your lighting.

I have the quads

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I want to install these 25fd313077485416a83ae9a01a30d10c.jpg

Would it be a problem

Please supply a link to the auction. Alot of times these aftermarket companies make 2 versions of the aftermarket headlights. One version works with Dual/Quad Headlight trucks and the other version works with 13+ OEM Projector trucks.

So post up the link and I will check for you to make sure these are the right ones.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please supply a link to the auction. Alot of times these aftermarket companies make 2 versions of the aftermarket headlights. One version works with Dual/Quad Headlight trucks and the other version works with 13+ OEM Projector trucks.

So post up the link and I will check for you to make sure these are the right ones.

It was just on eBay but I'll go look thanks for all your help

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It was just on eBay but I'll go look thanks for all your help

I could go find one on eBay but the problem there is i could end up finding one for the Quad/Dual trucks and tell you it works but the one you were looking at is for the OEM Projector trucks and then you buy it and it won't work. The connectors are different for the Dual/Quad trucks and the OEM Projector trucks so it's important you order the correct lights.

So link me to the EXACT Auction you want to buy them from. Then I can answer your questions better.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could go find one on eBay but the problem there is i could end up finding one for the Quad/Dual trucks and tell you it works but the one you were looking at is for the OEM Projector trucks and then you buy it and it won't work. The connectors are different for the Dual/Quad trucks and the OEM Projector trucks so it's important you order the correct lights.

So link me to the EXACT Auction you want to buy them from. Then I can answer your questions better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381909978641

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
https://www.ebay.com/itm/381909978641

Yes the lights from that exact auction will work for your truck if you have either Quads or Duals from the factory.

If you notice, under the item description it says "Attention: Will Not Work On Trucks With OEM Projectors From The Factory".

If any headlight Auction says that, then they will work for your truck.

On a related note; DTMoto is seriously one of the best company's I've ever dealt with on eBay / the internet. I bought a set of Smoked Chrome Halo LED Projector Headlights on eBay for my 2006 Ram from DTMoto. After 3 days the passenger side low beam stopped working. They immediately sent me 2 new bulbs. When the new bulbs did not fix the issue, they sent me out an entirely new headlight assembly for free!. They did not even ask for the broken one to be sent back. I did not have to fight and argue with them or anything. They just asked for a short video showing what was wrong. I sent them the video and they sent me a whole new light housing with 2 Day shipping for free. It turns out my TIPM had internal failures for the passenger side low beam and a bunch of other lights. So there was no problem with the headlights themselves, it was my trucks ecu that was causing the issues. After I found this out I felt bad they sent me a new light for no reason.

DTMoto's Customer Service is one of the best I've ever seen. I have already bought stuff from them for my new truck and I will be buying anything I can from them in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the lights from that exact auction will work for your truck if you have either Quads or Duals from the factory.

If you notice, under the item description it says "Attention: Will Not Work On Trucks With OEM Projectors From The Factory".

If any headlight Auction says that, then they will work for your truck.

On a related note; DTMoto is seriously one of the best company's I've ever dealt with on eBay / the internet. I bought a set of Smoked Chrome Halo LED Projector Headlights on eBay for my 2006 Ram from DTMoto. After 3 days the passenger side low beam stopped working. They immediately sent me 2 new bulbs. When the new bulbs did not fix the issue, they sent me out an entirely new headlight assembly for free!. They did not even ask for the broken one to be sent back. I did not have to fight and argue with them or anything. They just asked for a short video showing what was wrong. I sent them the video and they sent me a whole new light housing with 2 Day shipping for free. It turns out my TIPM had internal failures for the passenger side low beam and a bunch of other lights. So there was no problem with the headlights themselves, it was my trucks ecu that was causing the issues. After I found this out I felt bad they sent me a new light for no reason.

DTMoto's Customer Service is one of the best I've ever seen. I have already bought stuff from them for my new truck and I will be buying anything I can from them in the future.

That's awesome, thank you so much for all your help. I'll be sure just I post before and after since I have them installed

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's awesome, thank you so much for all your help. I'll be sure just I post before and after since I have them installed

Have you considered just buying some blacked out OEM quads and retrofitting a projector into them? Better quality than the EBay lights. You can get a brand new set of the black out factory quads from mopar parts online for 240 with free shipping. If you are trying to get better lighting out put those lights you have linked aren't going to do it. They are more of a looks kinda thing with no real benefit in light out put. Various reviews online say the output is actually worse than a stock quad. Just trying to help you make an informed decision on the lights so you're not kicking yourself once you use them at night for the first time.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

No problem. I just didn't want to tell you yes they fit, and then you go and order the set meant for trucks with oem projectors and they end up not working for you... that would royally sucks lol.

Definitely post up before and after pictures, I want to see how they look. I was thinking about ordering the "Tribal Style" aftermarket lights for the Ram's but I ordered a custom build from RetroShop instead. Now I'm selling those and once I do, I'm ordering a set of the TYC OEM Projectors.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you considered just buying some blacked out OEM quads and retrofitting a projector into them? Better quality than the EBay lights. You can get a brand new set of the black out factory quads from mopar parts online for 240 with free shipping. If you are trying to get better lighting out put those lights you have linked aren't going to do it. They are more of a looks kinda thing with no real benefit in light out put. Various reviews online say the output is actually worse than a stock quad. Just trying to help you make an informed decision on the lights so you're not kicking yourself once you use them at night for the first time.

You can buy the Blacked Out Depo brand OEM Quad Replicas off of ebay for $120 and they are 10x easier to open then the OEM Mopar ones. And they are cheaper since your going to open them to retrofit them.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@OnSale- ya just trying to give him a better perspective at what he's getting into with the lights.
@Vikingofthedisco- when it comes to headlights on these trucks you get what you pay for. But like stated if you would be doing the retrofit yourself the depo brands are easier to open. One of the vendors on here is Jeremy from Retroshop. It might be worth your time to just give him a call and tell him what you are trying to accomplish with your lights. If you want no improvement in light output then the ones you linked should be perfect lol. But if you want to get some good information on better routes to go give him a call or just search HIDs on the forum and you'll see tons of better options then those. Good luck in whichever route you choose