Headlight / Tailight canbus current limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does anyone know what the min and max current limits are for the canbus to detect a fault are? I just bought a 2017 Bighorn and want to convert to LED's and I read that they load that info into the computer based on the halogen headlamps and other standard bulbs used. There must be a table out there by bulb somewhere listing that for any external lighting that is monitored.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does anyone know what the min and max current limits are for the canbus to detect a fault are? I just bought a 2017 Bighorn and want to convert to LED's and I read that they load that info into the computer based on the halogen headlamps and other standard bulbs used. There must be a table out there by bulb somewhere listing that for any external lighting that is monitored.
Their are kits out there that come with Canbus adapters so they will fool the TIPM (computer) into thinking the bulbs are stock halogens.

One set is the Opt-7 FluxBeam-X LEDs from www.opt-7.com for $110. They are plug n play for our trucks and I have personally used them and they are really amazing light output for leds.

If you have the OEM projectors (which I'm guessing you do since its a big horn) you should seriously just go with the Morimoto Xb35 HID Kit from www.RetroShop.us.

Take it from me, someone who has had 3 sets of FluxBeam-X LEDs in my Ram, and now has a custom built set of OEM Projectors, the Morimoto HID Kit blows the led bulbs away.... no competition.

And the HID Kit is really simple, very easy plug n play.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

OP
OP
indept

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the reply. I didnt have the HID's, just hallogens.
I did already convert to LED headlights, they work great. What I'm looking for is the currents they look for as far as brakelights and parking lights. I want to go Led with them. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee which had a burnt socket on a brake light. I had to get a new tail light assy on that do to it overheating and causing the plastic to weaken. I had fixed that and put LED 3157's in whick were low current and worked great. I still have some and would like to put them in the Ram. My thinking is go with a resistor value that draws the minimum current they're looking for.