Headlight wheel well cover ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a while ago I noticed my passenger side headlight cover came off. How I have no idea because I've looked at other dodges and my other side is completely connected to the plastic of the wheel well. If you've taken your headlights out you should know exactly what this piece is. You have to open it to unclip the back of the headlight. It's a plastic little door.
Well with all this wet and cold weather it's causing my headlight to get moisture in it. I put a piece of gasket material but it's not working. Anyone have a part number or maybe suggestion for this problem? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420329185.093564.jpg (with the door)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420329198.917284.jpg (missing the door with the gasket material)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the door is letting the moisture into the head light.. I had this problem once wih a set of aftermarket projectors.. I just ran a extra bead of silicone around them and boom.. done no more moisture.

OP
OP
yodge

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I build headlights they are retrofitted and sealed with butyl glue just like every other set I've done. I checked them twice for leaks but found nothing. The only thing that makes sense is that the water is getting on the backside of the headlights where the dust covers are and is letting the moisture in.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious. Have you opened the dust cover recently like to change the light bulbs?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Customer curious....Have you opened the dust cover recently like to change the light bulbs?

OP
OP
yodge

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Customer curious....Have you opened the dust cover recently like to change the light bulbs?

Yea I did the other day but it rained and no problems went to the snow and now having problems

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I did the other day but it rained and no problems went to the snow and now having problems

Well, I'm going to say that you trap moist air inside the housing when you opened it up. With the right atmospheric conditions, you will get the fog/condensation in the housing…usually down by the turn signals. Take the dust cover off and blow hot air (with a hair dryer for example) in there for about 15 minutes. I had this problem too and this solved it.

OP
OP
yodge

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I'm going to say that you trap moist air inside the housing when you opened it up. With the right atmospheric conditions, you will get the fog/condensation in the housing…usually down by the turn signals. Take the dust cover off and blow hot air (with a hair dryer for example) in there for about 15 minutes. I had this problem too and this solved it.

Thank you. I will give this a try and report back how it goes.

cstultz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking for this part

I changed the bulb in my front headlights. I noticed a flapping sound when I turned. The door you open to remove the headlight had come unfastened. Evidently it had been running my tire. The door is now broken. I've been looking everywhere for this part. I may need to go the junkyard route. However Ram trucks are few and far between.