Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderRAm24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my truck back, 2014 Dodge Ram 1500, from the dealer as I had some kind of electrical failure, driver side turn signal and brake light, third brake light, passenger side headlight, no horn, that they attributed to the set of Bi-Xenon Headlights I had installed. I took it to my mechanic and he couldn't fix it so I had to take it to the dealership, where they charge 180/hr, for them to tell me that this truck isn't capable of running these headlights without blowing up some kind of module because according to the dealer they "draw too much power" 1100 later and I'm back to stock yellow headlights and fog lights. Anybody else ever have this problem?

Two questions, one is the cause of the original problem the headlights or is the dealer FoS?

Two any recommendations on LED Headlights? I know the LED headlights would draw less power but I don't really want to end back at the dealer with another $1100 bill. I can't stand the stock factory ones. Way too yellow for me and I can't see a damn thing.

Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Dealer is FOS. HID lights actually draw less than stock halogens.

The issue is one of lower power being read at the headlight by the electrical system. The system will shut down the circuit if the electrical readings are wrong, hence a flicker and eventual shut down of the HID.

I doubt the HID system would be "blowing up some kind of module" as the system will protect itself.

HID's are viable. Just get them from someone who knows how to put together a canbus compliant kit, such as JJ at Retroshop, a preferred vendor on this forum. I've run his kits on my trucks since 2011 with no problems...other than him calling my 2007 MegaCab a HID hating demon truck for a while ... :D

Red5Point7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I honestly hardly trust the dealer for any circumstances. They will come up with anything to get a pay day. I guarantee JJ could help you out with your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds fishy to me. I've never heard of headlights causing that many issues. Although, these newer vehicles have very finicky electrical systems. As far as I know, Bi-Xenon bulbs are different than HID's anyway, right? Maybe they do draw more power... who knows?

You can go a couple of different ways... 1) Replace your lights with HID's from Retroshop. He does great work and has great customer service... highly recommended on here. But, it's going to cost you upwards of $800-$1000 for new housings and bulbs. Or, 2) Go the LED route... There are several different options for LED's. You just have to do some reading and deciphering on the brands.

I just replaced my low beams and fogs with OPT7 LED Fluxbeam-X bulbs and they are tremendously better than the stock bulbs. I have a 2014, like you. OPT7 makes 2 different versions of their LED bulbs, Fluxbeam & Fluxbeam-X. The "-X" are newer and claim to be 20% brighter. They are also about $20 more than the previous version. One drawback with them, some people are losing FM radio reception after installing the newer bulbs. I noticed it a bit, but only on weaker stations. My local stations still come in just fine. But, I listen to my SD card music about 90% of the time, anyway. So, it wasn't a big deal. They run $109 for the newer version, $89 for the older version. I would recommend them, for sure. Now, you'll get your HID crowd that says they are not as good as HID's, blah, blah, blah. For me, the LED's were the way to go, mainly because of price, but, also from reading on here about them. They blew me away at how much better they are than OEM bulbs.

Sorry, that was kind of long...

OP
OP
M

MurderRAm24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree the Dealer is FOS. I've seen tons on here and in person of trucks running aftermarket setups. i've looked into Retro and they look amazing but after that $1100 wallet is a little light and I can't get the lights i'd like. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there a particular brand of LEDs everyone likes? a brand/site to avoid?

Guinnesslaxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree the Dealer is FOS. I've seen tons on here and in person of trucks running aftermarket setups. i've looked into Retro and they look amazing but after that $1100 wallet is a little light and I can't get the lights i'd like. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been running the OPT7 Fluxbeam in my quads for over a year now and love them. So much brighter and whiter than halogen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running OPT7 Fluxbeams in my quads for over 2 years now, no issues at all.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I've been looking into the JDM Astar 8th generations. After some quick internet research and youtube vids I think they look promising.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been looking into the JDM Astar 8th generations. After some quick internet research and youtube vids I think they look promising.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been looking at these also. A review I saw on YouTube showed them a bit brighter than the Opt7 Fluxbeams, but the Opt7s have so many more users with great reviews. I'm stuck between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro