Help with 2.5" leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I don't want to be rude but if you havn't put on a 2.5" leveling kit, please don't comment. I have a 2012 1500 Crew, going to put a 2.5" leveling kit on this weekend. I also traded for some 35x 12.5 r 20 tires. I have read tons of threads on this with a bunch of people saying yes or no. Here is my question, with my stock rims will they rub? I want actual hands on experience. If they do rub will a 1/4" spacer take care of it or will I need to go bigger to like a 1.5". Again if you literally have not done this on your 4th gen with this set up please do not answer. And I am really not trying to be a jerk but if you haven't done it than you do not know for sure.

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a 2.5" on my 2015 ram 1500 this past weekend and I have 33x12.5r20 on it. They look tiny on the truck so 35s will fit. I bought new wheels that were 20x9. I have no rubbing, nothing is touching, etc. I think you'll be alright. I'm sadly considering buying 35s sooner than I thought :crazy:

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help with 2.5" leveling kit

IMG_7343.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_7350.JPG
    IMG_7350.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 70

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
im gonna reply because your question really has nothing to do with the 2.5" leveling kit - 35's will fit wit a 2.5" level kit. The question has to do with tire width and wheel backspacing. If you are going to rub its going to be on the upper control arm, and if it does rub there - yes a 1/4" spacer should fix that.

what stock wheels do you have? the 20x9's or the 20x8's?

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe they are the 20x9's but honestly not sure how I can find that out. Hwo would the 9's vs 8's make a difference? Does it make it "fatter"?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I believe they are the 20x9's but honestly not sure how I can find that out. Hwo would the 9's vs 8's make a difference? Does it make it "fatter"?

the 20x8's have less backspacing which means they don't mount as close to the upper control arm

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking truck. But yes that is exactly what I was afraid of so I got some 35's

Yes good thinking, But I have 20x9s and I can fit my finger between the upper control arm and tire. Everything is clear and I've had no rubbing. I hope this helps!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Yes good thinking, But I have 20x9s and I can fit my finger between the upper control arm and tire. Everything is clear and I've had no rubbing. I hope this helps!

what size are your tires? and unfortunately not all trucks are equal. What fits on one truck might have some rubbing on another with the exact same setup.

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what size are your tires? and unfortunately not all trucks are equal. What fits on one truck might have some rubbing on another with the exact same setup.

I have 33s, so a spacer would probably be needed for 35s. Like I said, I can only fit a finger in between my tire and control arm so I'd imagine they might need something. Your right, all tires are different too. I have M/Ts

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have 33s, so a spacer would probably be needed for 35s. Like I said, I can only fit a finger in between my tire and control arm so I'd imagine they might need something. Your right, all tires are different too. I have M/Ts

actually the diameter is not the issue here, its the width. Are you running stock size tires? 275/60/20 which is roughly 11" wide. he is looking to run a 12.5" wide tire so it would stick out 3/4" more on each side than a stock tire.

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No mine are 12.5" as well. 33x12.5r20s are what I put on

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
No mine are 12.5" as well. 33x12.5r20s are what I put on

oh, ****....ok i didn't make the connection that you posted the pics of the truck with the 33's and the black wheels on the first page sorry about that.

your wheels are aftermarket so i'm guessing that they have less backspacing than stock wheels

now we have gone way off track lol...

Original poster - i can clean this thread up if you want unless this info is helping you

ChelseaB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh, ****....ok i didn't make the connection that you posted the pics of the truck with the 33's and the black wheels on the first page sorry about that.

your wheels are aftermarket so i'm guessing that they have less backspacing than stock wheels

Original poster - i can clean this thread up if you want unless this info is helping you

LOL I'm sorry! I'm just trying to help them out!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
LOL I'm sorry! I'm just trying to help them out!

lol it was me too man....We all want to help him

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

They are 35x12.5x20.

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No this is all helping me. But I might argure that the height would matter. That extra 2 inches means the middle of the tire is actually an inch higher so that could impact where the tire may or may not hit right?

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Luckily for me I traded a guy for the tires so I am not out any money. I wanted to try used ones first in case they did rub. If they don't then I will buy some good ones, if they do I might need spacers but may just save up for rims with a different offset.

OP
OP

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the 20x8's have less backspacing which means they don't mount as close to the upper control arm

I checked on line, forgive me if I am being a "i googled it you are wrong", but the offset looks to be the same both at +19. But would that mean that the 8" ones are actually 1/2" closer? I hope I have the 9's guess I will need to measure, or are they marked somewhere. lol gotta love us nubies