Help in Figuring Out RAMBOX Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldManRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just purchased a '14 Laramie Limited. LOVE IT. Quite an upgrade from my '04 SXT.

I purchased a tonneau cover and discovered my rails don't seem to match other RAMBOXes I have seen.

Does this look familiar to anyone:

20151212_142707.jpg
20151212_142619.jpg

It doesn't look like this (from the Truxedo instructions and any other pics I've seen on the web):

1117516-DODGE-RAM-BOX.jpg

Do i have another type of Rambox rails or was this added aftermarket?

Thanks for your help.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
The rails look the stock ones used with a Factory installed Tri Fold cover. That upper flat surface is what the seal sits on and the cover clamps to underneath. Did you get a cover with your truck? The ones that are installed ( if no factory cover is ordered ) are just plain silver aluminum.
And a problem comes up when you want to install some after market covers. As they build their system to work with the standard rails, not the ones in your pictures.
I wanted to install a ReTrax cover and ran into this. Luckily, I found a coworker who was looking for a cover for his Ram with the Rambox in the 6.4' bed.
So we just swapped out the rails. ReTrax needs the standard rails. I think they cost about $300 a pair if you need to buy them as parts.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Like the other poster said, yours are different. However, I think your rails would allow you to bypass the vast majority of the install and just drop in a low profile BAKflip VP or similar cover.

I'm going to take a look at mine and snap a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Disregard my last... It looks like you will need to get a factory cover. Here are the pictures of mine with the hardware installed for the cover:

uploadfromtaptalk1450033637374.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1450033661307.jpg

Did you buy your truck new? If so, it sounds like someone at the dealership swapped parts on you.

OP
OP
O

OldManRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks very much for the info guys.

I just bought this used from CarMax. Now off to find a factory cover, or standard rails.

OP
OP
O

OldManRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wrong rails (again)

Based on the posts above I found and ordered what I "thought" would be the right factory rails. Instead I ordered Utility Rails. Nice rails but not what I need. Seems I need the Rambox Cargo rails and I'll be damned if I can find them.

Does anyone have a part number for the standard cargo rails in a Rambox? They would be similar to SitKneelBends rails in his pictures.

Thanks again, in advance for your help.

Mike

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've been looking for P/Ns but no luck. Have you tried any salvage yards?

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Wow! I have the EXACT SAME problem.

Did you get any resolution to this?? I want to get and install the BackFlip cover, but I also need the normal "factory rails" to replace the ones I have like the first post shows.

Anyone ever get the part number for the regular silver rails? OR the part number for the factory cover?

RebelBoiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rebel Hemi 5.7
I registered for this forum just so I could give a definitive answer to this thread. After much pain in trying to figure out this exact same problem for myself (bought a used Rebel where the previous owner took off the rails before selling it), I can give the proper part numbers for this need.

The part number for the rails needed in a 5'7" Rambox bed for aftermarket tonneau tops (the rails have a track on top as well as the main track for tie downs) are 68027048AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68027049AD - Rail, Left, Cargo

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way (because I ordered, and subsequently returned) that the part number for the rails used with a Mopar hard tonneau top (the OP's rails) are 68171744AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68171745AD - Rail, Left, Cargo

The above parts are for a 5'7" Rambox bed. The 6'6" bed rails for aftermarket tonneau tops would be 68084030AB and 68084031AB respectively for the above. The part numbers for rails with Mopar tonneau tops on a 6'6" bed would be 68171746AD and 68171747AD

I'm really not sure if Ramboxes are made in 8' beds or if either of the rail types above are made for 8' beds.

Incidentally, Mopar's diagrams and descriptions that are used on most all online parts stores are total crap. If you plug any of those above part numbers into an ebay search, you usually can find a seller that has put actual pictures in the ebay listing.

Thanks to the posters of this thread as it eventually helped me determine the above information so that I could put on a BakFlip cover. As an aside, I may post a follow-up comment depending on how well (or not) the supplier I used comes through with my exchange (moparpartsoverstock . com or dodgepartsoverstock . com... same supplier). They show a policy of an outrageous 35% restock fee, but the guy on the phone seemed like he was treating this as an exchange and not a return. I can understand up to 20% restocking, but 35% is crazy.

Last edited:

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I registered for this forum just so I could give a definitive answer to this thread. After much pain in trying to figure out this exact same problem for myself (bought a used Rebel where the previous owner took off the rails before selling it), I can give the proper part numbers for this need.

The part number for the rails needed in a 5'7" Rambox bed for aftermarket tonneau tops (the rails have a track on top as well as the main track for tie downs) are 68027048AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68027049AD - Rail, Left, Cargo

Unfortunately, I found at the hard way (because I order and subsequently returned) that the part number for the rails used with a Mopar hard tonneau top (the OP's rails) are 68171744AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68171745AD - Rail, Left, Cargo

The above parts are for a 5'7" Rambox bed. The 6'6" bed rails for aftermarket tonneau tops would be 68084030AB and 68084031AB respectively for the above. The part numbers for rails with Mopar tonneau tops on a 6'6" bed could be 68171746AD and 68171747AD

I'm really not sure if Ramboxes are made in 8' beds or if either of the rails types above are made for 8' beds.

Incidentally, Mopar's diagrams and descriptions that are used on most all online parts stores are total crap. If you plug any of those above part numbers into an ebay search, you usually can find a seller that has put actual pictures in the ebay listing.

Thanks to the posters of this thread as it eventually helped me determine the above information so that I could put on a BakFlip cover. As an aside, I may post a follow-up comment depending on how well (or not) the supplier I used comes through with my exchange (moparpartsoverstock . com or dodgepartsoverstock . com... same supplier). The show a policy of an outrageous 35% restock fee, but the guy on the phone seemed like he was treating this as an exchange and not a return. I can understand up to 20% restocking, but 35% is crazy.

Great info, and accurate, thanks! I did order those same part #'s from mopar, and also installed the BakFlip cover which works awesome by the way. The only downfall to the backflip is that you have to lift the cover a few inches to shut the gate first, then drop the cover. You can't shut the cover, and then close the gate as it will hit the cover. That's a bit of a pita to get used to, but the cover otherwise is a great addition.

PierceIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way (because I ordered, and subsequently returned) that the part number for the rails used with a Mopar hard tonneau top (the OP's rails) are 68171744AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68171745AD - Rail, Left, Cargo

The above parts are for a 5'7" Rambox bed. The 6'6" bed rails for aftermarket tonneau tops would be 68084030AB and 68084031AB respectively for the above. The part numbers for rails with Mopar tonneau tops on a 6'6" bed would be 68171746AD and 68171747AD

I'm really not sure if Ramboxes are made in 8' beds or if either of the rail types above are made for 8' beds.

Thanks to the posters of this thread as it eventually helped me determine the above information so that I could put on a BakFlip cover. As an aside, I may post a follow-up comment depending on how well (or not) the supplier I used comes through with my exchange (moparpartsoverstock . com or dodgepartsoverstock . com... same supplier). They show a policy of an outrageous 35% restock fee, but the guy on the phone seemed like he was treating this as an exchange and not a return. I can understand up to 20% restocking, but 35% is crazy.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the Rambox cargo rails for the 2019 RAM 1500 5'7" bed with Rambox? Or do you know if the the part number listed above for by RebelBoiler will work? (68027048AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68027049AD - Rail, Left, Cargo) ? -- I am trying to install the Retrax roll away aluminum bed cover (the one made for specifically for the RamBox bed) but it requires the standard rails and of course my truck came from the factory with the tri-fold tonneau cover and therefore has the wrong rails (same problem that everyone else has been pointing out here) -- looks like "RebelBoiler" solved the mystery for trucks up to year 2018. So I just need the right rails for my 2019 truck. I've visited 3 different Dodge dealerships in our area and spent hours with the parts guys there and they keep wanting to sell me the black utility rails for the conventional bed (without the rambox) and those rails don't have the track on top that is needed for the Retrax mount to slide into. Any help is much appreciated!!

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Does anyone know the part numbers for the Rambox cargo rails for the 2019 RAM 1500 5'7" bed with Rambox? Or do you know if the the part number listed above for by RebelBoiler will work? (68027048AD - Rail, Right, Cargo and 68027049AD - Rail, Left, Cargo) ? -- I am trying to install the Retrax roll away aluminum bed cover (the one made for specifically for the RamBox bed) but it requires the standard rails and of course my truck came from the factory with the tri-fold tonneau cover and therefore has the wrong rails (same problem that everyone else has been pointing out here) -- looks like "RebelBoiler" solved the mystery for trucks up to year 2018. So I just need the right rails for my 2019 truck. I've visited 3 different Dodge dealerships in our area and spent hours with the parts guys there and they keep wanting to sell me the black utility rails for the conventional bed (without the rambox) and those rails don't have the track on top that is needed for the Retrax mount to slide into. Any help is much appreciated!!

I was able to get the right part # from MOPAR. I got a good guy on the phone and he searched around his info and came back with the part # for me.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was able to get the right part # from MOPAR. I got a good guy on the phone and he searched around his info and came back with the part # for me.
Post the part numbers or it didn't happen...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Just went down and dug up my old receipt from this for you. It took me a few months to find these parts, so hopefully this helps you. I bought the rails on 11/8/16 from Wholesalemopar.com $130.90 for each rail plus $60 to for shipping. (NOT cheap!)

Part numbers and description:
68027048-AD “Rail Carg 01074001”
68027049-AD “Rail Carg 01074001”

FYI, my truck is a 2015 Limited Ecodiesel with the RAMBOXES and short bed. It had come with the “Factory OEM foldup bed cover rails, which did not work or fit with anything else. Good luck!

PierceIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PROBLEM SOLVED: If you have a 2019 Dodge RAM 1500 (All New) with a 5'7" bed with RamBoxes and it came with a factory tri-fold tonneau cover and you would like to instead put on a retrax sliding cover like the one at this link: https://retrax.com/retraxpro-mx/2019/ram/1500 then you must replace the cargo bed rails with different ones in order for it to work. After ordering 3 different sets of the wrong rails, i have just successfully installed the Retrax cover on the correct rails.

The correct rails are part numbers:
68027048AD (Right cargo rail) -- https://store.mopar.com/2018-ram-15...-front_side_panels-side_rail_68027048AD-item/

68027049AD (Left cargo rail) -- https://store.mopar.com/2018-ram-15...-front_side_panels-side_rail_68027049AD-item/

If you go to the Dodge dealer or call Mopar parts they will not ship you these rails if you say you have a 2019 truck because for some reason their system tells them these rails are for 2018 only. But trust me - these are the right rails! I had Dodge ship me 3 different versions of the wrong rails. These ones worked perfectly for the RetraxPRO cover!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956