Help me identify this noise please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
This happens either when making a hard uturn at faster speeds(not dangerous, just not at a crawl) And when the tire hits a curb at a faster speed... but not at a slower speed. Please see the video... hope it helps!

I have a Mevotech upper control arm which has been great and recently replaced the lower ball joint. I'm at a loss... help!

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58fd4eddaed3d/20170423_195515.mp4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like suspension/steering, metal on metal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is it always 2 bumps?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is what you say, I would look at shocks first. But bottom line, something aint toque'd enough. Did this first show up soon after you put in the control arms? What upgrades have u done to suspension?

Could be cv joint, but that is pretty loud for that. But if you have a level and it's at 2.8, very likely an issue. Steering linkage maybe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
If it is what you say, I would look at shocks first. But bottom line, something aint toque'd enough. Did this first show up soon after you put in the control arms? What upgrades have u done to suspension?

Could be cv joint, but that is pretty loud for that. Steering linkage maybe.
It has Bilstein 5100 adjustables at 2.8. Mevotech upper control arm, newly replaced lower ball joint. All parts from the ball joint repair were torqued down exactly per specs.

Side note... when I was replacing the upper control arm, it was already doing it and when I rotated the spindle while connected to the axle and lower joint, it was creaking a little... let me find that video

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try lowering to 2.1, at 2.8 you are changing the suspension geometry pretty significantly.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Try lowering to 2.1, at 2.8 you are changing the suspension geometry pretty significantly.
Already tried this last repair, didn't fix anything.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you feel a jerk? Or is it strictly audible?

I had something kinda like that on my previous truck. Only when I was making a turn. Like you. However, I kept driving on it, didn't take long, the jerking got more severe with a louder popping sound.

I blew my rear diff. I hope that didn't happen to you. I don't think so. However, the popping while turning making a turn makes me wonder.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Do you feel a jerk? Or is it strictly audible?

I had something kinda like that on my previous truck. Only when I was making a turn. Like you. However, I kept driving on it, didn't take long, the jerking got more severe with a louder popping sound.

I blew my rear diff. I hope that didn't happen to you. I don't think so. However, the popping while turning making a turn makes me wonder.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strictly audible. I don't feel anything with the steering at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is the cv joint that was damaged by being at 2.8, you would have to replace the axle shaft. I had my cv blow two days into being at 2.8. Changed the axle and went with 2.1 and no issues since, but my truck never had that sound. So you get the same sound on fast u turns either direction? Is it a 4x4?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
If it is the cv joint that was damaged by being at 2.8, you would have to replace the axle shaft. I had my cv blow two days into being at 2.8. Changed the axle and went with 2.1 and no issues since, but my truck never had that sound. So you get the same sound on fast u turns either direction? Is it a 4x4?
Yes to 4x4, but I haven't checked the other direction. I want to say no but I'm really not sure.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
This assembly?0db05d9dd225b0507ee4313137d1ea42.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would engage the 4x4 and see what that does to the noise. Obviously you wouldn't want to take fast tight turns on the street, maybe get in the dirt a little. I would see if it makes it on tights fast turns in other direction as well. The more info the better.

Yes that looks like a front axle.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I would engage the 4x4 and see what that does to the noise. I would see if it makes it on tights fast turns in other direction as well. The more info the better.
Okay, I will try in 4x4 and try "bumping" the curb from the opposite angle. Curious... What could the results of this determine?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I would engage the 4x4 and see what that does to the noise. Obviously you wouldn't want to take fast tight turns on the street, maybe get in the dirt a little. I would see if it makes it on tights fast turns in other direction as well. The more info the better.

Yes that looks like a front axle.
Any particular 4 wheel drive mode? I rarely use it and don't remember which is which...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Normally the front axle shaft spins without power, if you add power IE 4x4 and it changes the noise or makes it happen w/o the turn, you would likely now it is something with the axle. Just go to 4 high for a bit, then move over to 4 low, I think it is best to be in neutral when changing to 4 low. Similar thought just to be thorough try the turn the other way, if it still pops you know the noise is there with different loads on the shocks. More info the better. You had the ball joint already go out on that side? Which means you are over loading it somehow. The axle shaft is just another item upstream, it would make sense as a possibility. Just like bad lifters can lead to a smoked cam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Normally the front axle shaft spins without power, if you add power IE 4x4 and it changes the noise or makes it happen w/o the turn, you would likely now it is something with the axle. Just go to 4 high for a bit, then move over to 4 low, I think it is best to be in neutral when changing to 4 low. Similar thought just to be thorough try the turn the other way, if it still pops you know the noise is there with different loads on the shocks. More info the better.
Will check tomorrow and get back with you.. much appreciated!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it turns out to be cv, I would set those bils to 2.1 after you replace the axle, especially because of the ball joint issue. It is a well known fact, many people can get away with running bils at 2.8, but when things start to go wrong, some trucks need them at 2.1. It's not a control arm issue, it is an approach angle issue. I emphasize IF. I believe there is an axle upgrade somewhere that addresses this. If I got the time tomorrow I will try and find that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452