HID Flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thGenJay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. So I installed some OPT7 55 watt HIDs on my 2015 ram 1500 with projector headlights. I encountered an issue where I get a lot of flickering from my HI's and FOGs. I'm assuming that I'm not getting the correct voltage into them because when I am at a stop still they work just find. Super bright! What can I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Hey guys. So I installed some OPT7 55 watt HIDs on my 2015 ram 1500 with projector headlights. I encountered an issue where I get a lot of flickering from my HI's and FOGs. I'm assuming that I'm not getting the correct voltage into them because when I am at a stop still they work just find. Super bright! What can I do?

I have had similar issues with my kit. You can try something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Anti-Flicker-Capacitors-Canceler-Eliminator/dp/B00J8QNNWY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Awesome! Did that work for you?

IIRC, I think these actually worked for me... and may be installed now. Not positive to be honest... my issues were mainly bulb out errors. Mine still flicker occasionally but not enough for me to want to do something about it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H...g_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5258F73X111R2EAYY0TN

This is what I have now for my headlights since I don't think fogs have bulb out errors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...y+resistor&dpPl=1&dpID=51zlrIG3GXL&ref=plSrch

OP
OP

4thGenJay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the hid are brand new and they all Flickr. I'm assuming it might be the relay. I'm better off going straight to the battery I think.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Yeah the hid are brand new and they all Flickr. I'm assuming it might be the relay. I'm better off going straight to the battery I think.

How do you have them connected?

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
How do you have them connected?

Mine are connected between the ballast and the relay.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a full plug and play set from RetroShop and no flickering from day 1.

You have a 2013 Ram and they each have 2015 Rams. In 2015, Ram changed their canbus system causing the basic plug and play HID kits not to work anymore. I'm sure you've seen the threads as there were a lot when this first came to light. Very recently some HID kits have started to come out with anti-flicker modules that you need to install inline with the canbus ballasts. Before this, you had to buy a complete wiring harness (with capacitors, resistors, etc.) for the 2015+ Rams if you wanted a trouble free aftermarket HID kit. It sounds like the OP just went and bought the standard HID kit from Opt7 and installed it on his 2015 Ram. I'm not surprised at all that he had problems.