HID light flickers on/off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnmotown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I bought the truck with the aftermarket projector headlights and they worked fine so far. Just a few weeks ago my passenger side wasn't working, so I removed both headlights to test the bulb and rule it out, making sure it wasn't the ballast.

Anyways, I ordered a set of headlights bulbs on eBay and installed them. The passenger side worked fine and NOW the driver side with flicker on for a couple seconds then go off. Its weird because with the truck off and when I turn the headlight knob to on, the headlight lights up fine. BUT when I turn on the vehicle, the headlight will flicker for couple seconds then shut off.

Does it seem like a bad ballast? I even switched the build with a good one and it was still flickering. I'm getting reallllly tired of these projectors, wish they came with stockers :mad:

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I bought the truck with the aftermarket projector headlights and they worked fine so far. Just a few weeks ago my passenger side wasn't working, so I removed both headlights to test the bulb and rule it out, making sure it wasn't the ballast.

Anyways, I ordered a set of headlights bulbs on eBay and installed them. The passenger side worked fine and NOW the driver side with flicker on for a couple seconds then go off. Its weird because with the truck off and when I turn the headlight knob to on, the headlight lights up fine. BUT when I turn on the vehicle, the headlight will flicker for couple seconds then shut off.

Does it seem like a bad ballast? I even switched the build with a good one and it was still flickering. I'm getting reallllly tired of these projectors, wish they came with stockers :mad:

What year truck

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the connections - sounds like it's loose

OP
OP
tnmotown

tnmotown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've checked almost every connection and nothing seems noticeably loose. There was an oval connector that came off the ballast which I put some dielectric grease but didn't help.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The passenger side worked fine and NOW the driver side with flicker on for a couple seconds then go off. Its weird because with the truck off and when I turn the headlight knob to on, the headlight lights up fine. BUT when I turn on the vehicle, the headlight will flicker for couple seconds then shut off.

Sounds like an issue with CANbus monitoring of the headlights. I had a similar issue with my LED fogs on my 15. They worked fine with the truck off, as soon as I started the truck the LEDs didn't work. I had to use a CANbus error cancelers on them. Just replaced the cheap ones that came with the fogs(one failed) with the modules from Diode Dynamics.

OP
OP
tnmotown

tnmotown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like an issue with CANbus monitoring of the headlights. I had a similar issue with my LED fogs on my 15. They worked fine with the truck off, as soon as I started the truck the LEDs didn't work. I had to use a CANbus error cancelers on them. Just replaced the cheap ones that came with the fogs(one failed) with the modules from Diode Dynamics.

Sorry, I'm kinda new to these trucks. What is the CANbus system? I did noticed some "cancelling box" that was in-line of my HID kit. So maybe that went bad?

OP
OP
tnmotown

tnmotown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still having the same problem. Does anyone know what connection to look for probably?

And a canbus canceller should be on both sides of the headlights right?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956