HID vs. LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010-RAM-HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thinking about changing my current 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 factory headlights. Was wondering what is the best route to go for looks and performance. What is the difference between HID vs.LED. Also I heard good things about the HID Xenon + 09-16 Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 CCFL Halo LED DRL Projector Headlights - Smoked Headlights. Was also wondering if anybody has these and if they project bright coverage on the road. I'm look looking into the icy blue 8000k and will also be replacing the fog lights with HIDExtra conversion kit. Lastly was wondering how easy it easy to replace Dodge Ram headlights or installinh the HID conversion kit. Thanks!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I'm more of a fan of hid in a true hid projector. If you want top notch performance, I suggest baking your lights to open them up. Then retrofit them with some morimoto mini d2s projectors. Those aftermarket halogen projectors have poor optics and will yield subpar results. You will have more usable light at 4300 Kelvin. Contact JJ at Retroshop or the guys at theretrofitsource.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Contact JJ at Retroshop or the guys at theretrofitsource.

+1. 4300k-4500k is the best for output. 5000-5500k you don't lose a lot, but a little. Especially after 6000k, you start losing lots and lots of lumens. 8000k for some manufacturers is borderline purple, and that super blue-purple area is one of the worst for light output.

Don't take the exact lumens on the left side of this chart at their actual values, as lumens also depend on HID vs LED vs halogen vs etc., but this gives you a good idea of the relationship between output and kelvin rating.
hid_lum_003.jpg

In regards to LEDs vs HIDs... LED lighting in the correct housing might be the best, but they've yet to quite get it squared away, in my opinion. While some LED may be better than halogen bulbs, most glare to much and throw light in all the wrong places. The NHTSA started rating headlights recently, and the vehicles with LED lights for the most part faired just as poorly as many halogen-equipped vehicles.

HIDs in a HID projector housing are still king. HIDs in Ram factory halogen projectors (2013+ Laramie and up trim levels) are decent, but the retrofitted kits that JJ makes (or that you can make on your own if you are brave) are the best for these trucks. The aftermarket units you see on eBay and other places, 99% of the time, are garbage designed for looks only and won't compare in output to the factory lights retroed with quality HID-designed projectors.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think still HIDs are still better as far as light output, but LEDS will be way better than halogen.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my 2016 HID projectors with morimoto from the retroshop. 5500k, Easy to install just take your time and watch the youtube video also.

20170328_185115.jpg

20170325_234312.jpg

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
had LED's in my 2011 with dual's. they froze over really really bad. depending on climate i couldnt recommend LED to anyone. also could be different with the projector housing

OP
OP
2010-RAM-HEMI

2010-RAM-HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Great looking truck and sweet headlights!