Hidden winch on a 17 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there everyone! I'm back! well I haven't posted in 10 ish years since I sold my Dakota, nor could I remember any of my old info so here is a new me! With a new Ram!

Ok, so I traded my 16 Wrangler Unlimited for a 17Rebel and I want to install my Warn winch in it behind the bumper like the Power Wagon has. My searching for a hidden winch mounting plate has come up empty, I want to keep the factory bumper (I like it) but I want winching capabilities. My Winch is a Warn Vr8-S Gen II. Any ideas? Any clue if the Power Wagon mount will fit a 1500?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome back! Post a pic of your new truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MdMassey

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my new truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 96

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Why did you create a new account instead of using your existing account?

trevorhall__

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice choice, welcome to the family brother.

OP
OP
MdMassey

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Thank you everyone for the welcomes back. Any idea about my question of the hidden winch? I went to the dealer today and there were no Power Wagons on the lot. I want to see how the winch mount for the PW works and maybe make some measurements of the frame rails to see if it can be added to a 1500.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember correctly, the 1500 and 2500 frames are slightly different, and the power wagon mount won't work on a 1500. However, There are several threads around here showing how others (myself included) mounted winches on 1500's.
I used a universal mounting plate (received it with the winch on Father's Day). All I had to do to the plate, was trim the front edge to fit it to the contour of the bumper. Then it was just a matter of making some mounting brackets.
I chose to set the winch farther forward, and have the fair lead in front of the bumper. Assuming the rebel isn't too much different than a regular 1500, there should be room to keep the roller behind the bumper if you want.
21608ca47a687eefd13d4746cb39f0f8.jpg

OP
OP
MdMassey

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I got out to the dealership and checked out the pictures the parts department had on the Power Wagon winch mount. Unfortunately it's not an add on, it's actually part of the bumper and the fair lead is built into the mount. That won't work for me as I need to use a hawse style fair lead because of the synthetic rope. So it looks like I'm going to have to modify a winch plate or make my own.

FF1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Muddy12, is that light bar mounted to the chrome bumper? Or did you got up and over under the center filler?

As far as a winch mount, there looks like a lot of room behind the bumper. Someone needs to pre fab some mounting systems / plates trays that utilize the tow hook mounting points. Kleinn air horns makes a plate to mount a train horn set. I may get to work with some cardboard and see if someone can replicate it in metal plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Muddy12, is that light bar mounted to the chrome bumper? Or did you got up and over under the center filler?

As far as a winch mount, there looks like a lot of room behind the bumper. Someone needs to pre fab some mounting systems / plates trays that utilize the tow hook mounting points. Kleinn air horns makes a plate to mount a train horn set. I may get to work with some cardboard and see if someone can replicate it in metal plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, in that pic, the light bar was bolted to the chrome bumper. I just slid the mounting bolts together until they lined up with the factory front license plate holes, put the bolts through the holes, and put the nuts on the back side.

That was only temporary though, the light bar is now mounted back on the bull bar, which is now mounted to the winch plate.
454bd22fb796f34465e599260d2c3068.jpg

I also think making a mount plate would be super easy, if you had access to a press break.

Last edited:

FF1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looks great!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure and post pics if you make one. I love to get one on mine. Someone you there should be making a kit by now but I haven't seen any.

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Not to Bring a thread back from the dead but has anyone made progress on these mounts? id really like to make one for my Ram.
:happy107: