HIDs flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys. Question for ya. I installed HIDs a few months ago and they've worked fine so far. Yesterday, I installed a 52" light bar on my roof. I wired it up to the battery with a relay and everything and it works fine. Today I drove to work, and my HIDs started flickering on and off. I checked the battery voltage metre and it never went below 14V. I ended up just turning them off so it would stop. Any ideas why it would be doing that? The light bar wasn't on, so I know it wasn't drawing power which I heard would make the HIDs flicker. other than that, I have no clue.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
How is the light bar wired? Is it wired off an independent switch or is it wired off a lead from the headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know what HID kit you used but if it has its own ground wires to ground out, did you touch any of the grounds for the HID kit? you could have a loose ground. Also could just be a coincidence and capacitors are failing and the CANBUS is causing it to flicker. just spit balling ideas.

what HID kit do you have?

OP
OP
Dierks the Dodge
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Its one from ebay!! ive had it for a while and its always worked really well. When I installed them a few months ago, I got the canbus adaptors for them, so those are still relatively new.

I hooked up the HIDs thru the headlight wiring like normal. I don't have a relay attached to it or anything, so there shouldn't be a loose ground.

Could just be a coincidence like you said. I dunno!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do they flicker while driving only or even while sitting still?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your grounds, if thats not the case, then the can bus foolers are not working.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far, just when driving. They even turned off for about 5 seconds, then turned back on.

Check the connection from stock wiring to HID kit wiring. If its only while driving I am willing to bet its a loose connection. there is sometimes an issue where the oem plug and aftermarket plug don't fit together perfectly and you can have a loose connection over time. I've seen it happen several times