HID's in stock projectors - Helpfull info inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

When installing HID's in the stock housings make sure to "clock" the bulbs so the electrode (wire on the bulb) is facing down.

I did 55w HID's from Jeremy and was not impressed with output honestly, I had a dark/dull spot real bad on the driver side and the pass side was better but not great.

Did some searching and found some need to "clock" the bulbs so back out the headlights came and I "clocked" the bulbs so the wire was down and all I can say is WOW, drastically better!

Here is how I did mine (sorry no pics).

The black plastic bulb retainer needs to be loosened (there are 3 small torx head screws) to allow you to rotate the bulb past the current stops.

This then allow the bulb to spin and be "clocked" to the correct orientation, then tighten up the screws to hold the bulb there.

** you will no longer be able to "unscrew" the bulb to remove it, you will need to loosen the screws again to remove the bulbs, at least in my case.
(you won't need to replace HID bulbs for a very, very long time)

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing HID or anyone that has dead/dark spots with their current setup.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info. Unfortunately, I learned about he wire being on the bottom after I installed mine.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
thanks for this info, I know mine are not clocked properly - i tried what you said with the 3 screws but i guess i didn't loosen them enough.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for this info, I know mine are not clocked properly - i tried what you said with the 3 screws but i guess i didn't loosen them enough.

The driverside I took the screws all the way out, on the pass side I learned from the drivers and just loosened them up, the screws are about 1/2" long so there is a good amount room to loosen them up.

Ghost2013SCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! I had mine installed about a month ago and my pass side is not as bright as my drive side. I'll be doing this a try Saturday.