High mileage trans fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Litew8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Question. Im at 100k not sure if it's ever been changed. Change or not to change? I was always told if u don't change it before 100k. Don't change it. I even know people that worked at trans shops and they said too ..

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, at most I'd drop the pan and change the filter, then refill to proper level with fresh fluid and call it good. I would not do a total flush with that mileage. I don't like total flushes at any mileage really. Just my .02. Good luck

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have changed tranny fluid and filters on several vehicles with over 100k miles, and never had an issue. However, I can't tell you if the fluids had ever been changed before.

I agree that I would not have it flushed....

Many folks say not to change it after 90-100K miles if it has never been done...

If the fluid is really nasty, I'd be hesitant to change it, as the junk in the fluid may be the only think keeping it going....otherwise, it should be ok.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow this is interesting ive never heard of this in fact i was just at the shop the other day and they did a safety inspection after taking a sample of my tranny fluid they told me i need to have it done.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Completely different transmission but after I got married my wife had a neon with 150k miles it shifted horribly. I did a complete flush and it was crazy the difference it made. Shifted perfect. Can't talk about longevity because I traded it in about 6 months later

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm at 194k miles on my 2012 1500 never had it changed...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Change it, put ester transmission oil back Redline c+, they are completely compatible. Drop pan and put back fluid, and decide if you want to push fluid out of the cooler line. It isn't a reverse flush that can damage your tranny, this method expels fluid after it goes through the filter. Nothing to get stuck in clutch packs like a dealer flush. Many youtubes on it, I will try and find the one I posted a while back, it was really good. You can't start the truck after you do drop the pan if you want to do an entire flush. If you want to do a 1/2 flush, I would ask would you consider 1/2 flushing the engine oil?

Here is a good example.

If you go to oil stop, they will show you the condition of your transmission oil for free. Just tell them you can't swing doing it now if you want to do it yourself. Make sure the atf sealant dries solid before putting oil back in pan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Litew8

Litew8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Change it, put ester transmission oil back Redline c+, they are completely compatible. Drop pan and put back fluid, and decide if you want to push fluid out of the cooler line. It isn't a reverse flush that can damage your tranny, this method expels fluid after it goes through the filter. Nothing to get stuck in clutch packs like a dealer flush. Many youtubes on it, I will try and find the one I posted a while back, it was really good. You can't start the truck after you do drop the pan if you want to do an entire flush. If you want to do a 1/2 flush, I would ask would you consider 1/2 flushing the engine oil?

Here is a good example.
Would like to see ur video.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I haven't done mine yet, I'm doing it late summer if I can swing it. Click on that video, it is pretty thorough. RLK and H395 did theirs, pretty straight forward, just have a good 4 hours set aside. The only thing I will do different is put a brake bleed line down the neck and see if I can get the fluid out that way as opposed to taking bolts off and winging it. Also our tranny takes 2 filters. I think both of those guys also upgraded their pans, ones with drain plugs and high capacity. All of us have Hemi's, I'm not sure about the 4.7.

Last edited:

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question. Im at 100k not sure if it's ever been changed. Change or not to change? I was always told if u don't change it before 100k. Don't change it. I even know people that worked at trans shops and they said too ..

My manual says 120k is for the 6 speed... Not sure if you have the 6 speed or not. I'm taking mine to the dealer next week 250 for a service... My fluid is still purple as can be and doesn't smell burnt in the slightest. Only reason I'm taking it to the dealer, I'm having issues and if it goes out I don't want them to put blame on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lol WHAT!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
the dealer changes my oil every 6k mileage and they check all other fluids and let me know when to change them

2014ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm at 194k miles on my 2012 1500 never had it changed...

Im curious to know if you have the 8 speed 8HP70 transmission because that what I have and would like to know if there an 8 speed tran. that have high miles.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Here is a good example.

If you go to oil stop, they will show you the condition of your transmission oil for free. Just tell them you can't swing doing it now if you want to do it yourself. Make sure the atf sealant dries solid before putting oil back in pan.
I'm not aware of any trans flush machines that reverse flushes your trans. They hook into your cooler lines, the pump in the transmission, pumps the fluid out as the flush machine puts new fluid in through the return line.
No dirty fluid is pushed back through your primary filter or into your clutch packs.

Basically the same as the you tube method, only with the you tube method you put the new fluid in through the dipstick tube.

The 45,545,66,68rfe tranys in Ram trucks do have an additional spin on filter in the pan, it filters the fluid after the trans cooler, before the fluid is returned to the pan. Either method would push the small amount of dirty fluid that is in the return line though this filter.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Drain and change both filters don't use any other additives and use ATF+4 and won't be an issue. I don't like flush personally and have had great success. My Ram has 144k it is an 09

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Im curious to know if you have the 8 speed 8HP70 transmission because that what I have and would like to know if there an 8 speed tran. that have high miles.

The 8 speeds weren't available until 2013, and he has a 2012, so he does not have it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just do it yourself Sir

, suck as much out through the xsmn filler / dipstick neck as possible with a tool like this / to prevent a mess while dropping the pan. ..

04720a5a0a2fc4f7a2812f510e79a5e7.jpg
Or similar.

Then ....drop the pan and Change both filters with OEM filters , reinstall the oem pan or install a pan with a drain plug kit ... mine is this one from Mag-Hytec

4594e1115a7b9f1a1ed34ecf2c5b4a2f.jpg

eb0a7ec529b3753821f56b071adcd9a4.jpg

if you install an aftermarket pan with a drain plug or install a drain plug kit into your oem pan just drain and refill @ 1k intervals twice and you've done a complete fluid change !

I recommend using Redline C+ATF FLUID ! ! Many of members here have with fantastic results ! ! , then change @ 50 -75 k intervals along with both filters ....

Here's a link for discussion on this subject .. and how I did my xsmn fluid change ... you don't have to do as I did , but you'll likely find good info here to give you info to make a more informative decision

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1351574

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do it yourself Sir

, suck as much out through the xsmn filler / dipstick neck as possible with a tool like this / to prevent a mess while dropping the pan. ..

04720a5a0a2fc4f7a2812f510e79a5e7.jpg
Or similar.

Then ....drop the pan and Change both filters with OEM filters , reinstall the oem pan or install a pan with a drain plug kit ... mine is this one from Mag-Hytec

4594e1115a7b9f1a1ed34ecf2c5b4a2f.jpg

eb0a7ec529b3753821f56b071adcd9a4.jpg

if you install an aftermarket pan with a drain plug or install a drain plug kit into your oem pan just drain and refill @ 1k intervals twice and you've done a complete fluid change !

I recommend using Redline C+ATF FLUID ! ! Many of members here have with fantastic results ! ! , then change @ 50 -75 k intervals along with both filters ....

Here's a link for discussion on this subject .. and how I did my xsmn fluid change ... you don't have to do as I did , but you'll likely find good info here to give you info to make a more informative decision

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I want the pan, but doesn't the filter need replacing? If you do drain plug you can't pull the filter out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk