Hopefully a quick trouble shooting HID question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I installed an HID kit from Jeremy at retroshop this spring/summer. Everything has worked great until a couple weeks ago. When I started my truck neither of them came on. I left the switched in the on position and few minutes down the road the lit up. Since then I've had no issues. Last night on the other hand I noticed when I started up the truck and turned them on they wouldn't light up again. I left them on thinking maybe the same thing would happen but it did not. Today I got the same result. No lights.

Could it be the ballast? All the connections look good so I'm not what else it would be.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What a pain in the butt. I would be screwed if that happened to me on my daily commute. It's very odd that both of them aren't working at the same time. Just to rule things out, have you tried connecting the OEM halogen bulbs up and see if they work? If they do, then I would think ballasts. I'm not really sure though. The fact that both won't come on really has me wondering. Call JJ...there's a 3 yr warranty on his kits. Please keep us updated with what you figure out. I also have his HID kit on my truck.

OP
OP
Moundman

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Emailing back and forth with Jeremy today. He's having me check some things like corrosion or bad connections because to him it sounds like a bad connection.

I did that and so far nothing yet. I just emailed him so now I'm waiting.

I should just break down and send him my old lights and have him completely overhaul them. :)

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I take it you have the relay harness? stock Quad lamp?

Time to upgrade to 13+Projectors with HID's and CanBus adapters...no more harness

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Occasionally my passenger side light won't fire up when I unlock the doors with my remote. If I lock it and unlock it again it usually starts up. Flickers a bit but seems fine once it warms up.

Mine are in the factory projectors with the CANBUS harness.

OP
OP
Moundman

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I take it you have the relay harness? stock Quad lamp?

Time to upgrade to 13+Projectors with HID's and CanBus adapters...no more harness

My wife tried doing something nice for fathers day and bought me some black spyder lights. Not my choice but she was thoughtful so I thought I'd make them work. Jeremy helped me out by telling me what HID kit to get from him and thing were pretty good. lol

But yeah my originals were quads.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife tried doing something nice for fathers day and bought me some black spyder lights. Not my choice but she was thoughtful so I thought I'd make them work. Jeremy helped me out by telling me what HID kit to get from him and thing were pretty good. lol

But yeah my originals were quads.

Happy wife, Happy life! It's the golden rule. Have you done a continuity test on the wiring harness? It would rule out a short in the harness?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
When they both go.......I always think:

- fuse
- corrosion or bad connection at the harness
- capacitor bad / corroded, ground off?

VERY odd for both to just flake out though......

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a bad connection, check them all good, i has similar issue and was one of the pins in a connector pushing out when connected, hard to find so look hard, considering its both lights its likely something to do with the harness or the relays, check from the connection to the stock plug inside the drivers side light and work your way to the relay from there, seems like you intermittently lose power to trigger the relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moundman

Moundman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for all the suggestions. I disconnected the lights and plugged in the oem ones. They worked fine. I then plugged the hids in again and they worked. I'm guessing it just wasnt making connection like most of you guys said. Thanks again for all the help. Jeremy thanks again for the emails.

Hemi305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, i have a similar issue. I have a set of HIDs on my 2012 ram 1500. My left fog light flickers and wont turn on and one of the horns dont work. I was thinking it was a relay issue but not too sure. Any ideas?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys, i have a similar issue. I have a set of HIDs on my 2012 ram 1500. My left fog light flickers and wont turn on and one of the horns dont work. I was thinking it was a relay issue but not too sure. Any ideas?

What kind of kit? Does it have a capacitor or canbus adapter? Fogs get tricky, theres quite a few that run them plugged directly to factory plug with nothing else and no issues, then theres also quite a few, myself included, that need a harness with a capacitor or a canbus adapter to get them working properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of kit? Does it have a capacitor or canbus adapter? Fogs get tricky, theres quite a few that run them plugged directly to factory plug with nothing else and no issues, then theres also quite a few, myself included, that need a harness with a capacitor or a canbus adapter to get them working properly

I have a canbus kit that have worked perfectly for about a year now. I just tried them on another car and they worked perfect so it had to be the truck

Agron1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a bummer....good luck with everything, and I hear Jeremy from Retro Shop is the man so I think he'll get everything done right for you.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Its hard to diagnose other companies stuff.........assuming its not mine, as your sig reads 8K....we go to 6 ;)

I'd check your grounds.