How often do you guys clean under your fender flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

To3z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering how often I should pop off my fender flares and clean under them. I'm sure mud/dirt/etc get under them and I don't want it to start corroding the paint. Just wondering how often you guys do it.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would think cleaning under them would be an excellent idea, but what do you do about the adhesive that lines the top edge? Do you buy new adhesive every time?

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had my rivet style on for a month. They were ridiculous nasty under and the rubber gasket messed up my paint where it meets the truck. I'm going to clean under mine every two months.

OP
OP
To3z

To3z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are aftermarket so there's no adhesive. But it sounds like I am definitely overdue on taking them off and cleaning the truck. Hopefully the rubber liner hasn't cause any damage.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
stop rust

I have 3 quarts of this stuff to paint everything under my truck. I would worry much more about everything under the truck before I started worrying about the painted part of the truck. Since most people find that their flares are permanent, why not coat that area with bed-liner or rust paint and never worry about taking the flare off and on? Now that you have a line to follow I'd sand it down and put a no worry product under there. Popping flares off all the time to wash seams like a lot of work, I'd rather do it once and be done.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've had fender flares on my F150 since new in '97 and all I ever did when it was a DD was tweak them back and run water under them. My truck is pristine to this day. No rust of any kind! 95,000 miles... I live in the salt/rust belt!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I've had fender flares on my F150 since new in '97 and all I ever did when it was a DD was tweak them back and run water under them. My truck is pristine to this day. No rust of any kind! 95,000 miles... I live in the salt/rust belt!

You haven't lived in the "rust belt" until you have seen NYC when they THINK it is going to start snowing, let alone when flakes actually start falling lol.

This whole Nemo storm, NYC had 260,000 TONS of ice melt for the roads ready to go out there, and eat your vehicle alive!!! lol My little center hub caps (the ram heads) loooked like salted margarita glasses, and that was after I washed my truck, and drove a little again lol.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Uh yeah, they do the same here!!! Spray the roads with calcium chloride before any precip and then blanket the roads with more calcium chloride but in the solid form. It's nuts! Piles of it!