Kanati Trail Hogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The center section kills the tire for me.. I'm not a bfg fan.

cmznj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the price I decided to pick up a set in 275/65r20. $836 shipped. Betther than the 1200 for the BFG KO2s I was gonna buy. Had my 2016 ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 bighorn almost 6 months and hate the goodyear sra's it has. Anything has to have better traction then them.

cmznj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the shop now getting mine mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_20160902_141220.jpg
    IMG_20160902_141220.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 348
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check your rims before you leave. Tire Kingdom scratched the living **** out of my rims and said it was because the tires were so stiff. Thankfully, they're stepping up and paying to have the wheels refinished.

I've had them on close to a week now. I don't have a full tank of gas behind me so I don't know how much they've hurt my mpg but I suspect it's at least a little. It's been raining quite a bit here as Hermine comes through and these tires have done great in the rain.

They whine a good bit at highway speeds but not too obnoxious.

cmznj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love them. They're way quite then I was expecting. With Windows up you can't here them windows down over 50mph there's a faint hum but if the radio is on and over my exhaust you can't hear them. I only lost 1.5-2mpg with cruise set to 55 I would get 23-24 on a 50 mile trip with these I got 20.8. I can live with that. I drive mostly highways. They're measure 1.5" taller than stock and just about exactly the same width. Stock passenger 275/60r20. These are lt275/65r20. And they are heavy. Weight online is 58lbs. FedEx had them marked @73. I have a 200 mile trip this weekend and where forecasted for a tropical storm so I should get to try them in wet conditions

IMG_20160902_163629.jpg

IMG_20160902_164225.jpg

IMG_20160902_172717.jpg

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really considering giving these tires a chance. Please keep us updated good or bad.

Tires look great on both trucks.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just filled the first full tank after having the tires installed. I had about 70/30 city/highway on the tank. I also had the truck at the dealer for service on this tank so who knows how long they idled it for or how they drove it. Hand calc'd I was right about 12 mpg on the tank. With everything considered, I was a bit lower than where I would be with the old tires, but nothing I'm upset about. We'll see how the next tank goes and I'll update when I've got a couple more tanks on the tires.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any updates on the Trail Hogs?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just filled up my 3rd full tank on the tires. Last tank I averaged 11.6, this tank 11.7 hand calc'd. I can't say I lost much if any mpg. .5-1mpg at the absolute most. I know the truck is working a little harder to move them down the road though; MDS doesn't kick in as often and the truck holds 5th gear a little longer.

Wet traction is fantastic. I haven't been able to spin these even driving through a couple tropical storms down here. That said, the siping only runs about halfway through the treadblock so we'll see if the traction remains good for the life of the tire. Dry traction is good, as expected.

I haven't had them offroad really, but I expect them to do well. Just rolling through my wet yard they absolutely tore it up even with no wheel spin. I cut the turn out of the driveway a little short a couple times while Hermine was rolling through and I had mud flying everywhere (again, no wheel spin) so these things really dig in.

I've got about 800 miles on the tires as of now and so far no complaints. They look fantastic and drive well. There was a small hit to mpg but I'm still in the same range I was before so it's really not noticeable to me.

At $1050 out the door, these were definitely worth the gamble for me. As I get further through the tire life, I'll continue to update this thread with impressions. Unless they all the sudden start sucking at some point and multiple people on the board make a convincing case that the big names are lasting close to twice as long as the Trail Hogs on the HD trucks (I was quoted nearly 2x the price for some name brands), I'd seriously consider running them again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No problem. Keep an eye on the thread for additional updates if you're interested.

So 2 things I haven't mentioned that I've thought of. 1, the tires do seem to brown quicker than other tires. However, I washed the truck this weekend finally and most of the browning washed off so maybe it was just dirt.

Braking performance is something I haven't touched on either. I don't really notice any difference in braking between these and the stock Firestones. So that's better than I expected given the slight increase in rotational mass. If you have to really stand on the brakes, you will definitely hear these tires digging in to stop the truck.

So once again, all in all, closing in on 1000 miles, I'm still happy with the purchase. Hopefully I'll still be saying the same in 30000 miles.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the road noise like now that you have put some miles on them?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What's the road noise like now that you have put some miles on them?

They haven't got any noisier than they were to begin with. Under 70, they're noticeable but the noise fades into the background quickly. At 70 or above, the hum starts to get a lot louder. It never really fades into the background at highway speeds but I don't find it obnoxious.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had these on my truck for the last 6k miles and so far they've been great, still look pretty new.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I knew I'd seen at least one or two other members running them, just couldn't remember who they were. Good looking truck! It'll be good to have a couple more opinions on the tires to inform other members that are interested in them. I think I might be the first to put them on an HD on here, but the more data points the better!

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, I passed 1000 miles over the weekend. The tires seem to be quieting down a bit with some miles but not sure if I'm just getting used to them or not. Truck also seems to be handling them a little better with some miles. Not sure if the programming just had to relearn or what but truck has been shifting to 6th and MDS coming on like before so maybe overall MPG will go up to where I was before. I never had much if any noticeable drop I'm just saying there was a small one based on the truck noticeably working a little harder to move down the road (mpg never really left the range I've already been experiencing, just seems like it moved a little lower in that range).

Now for the most impressive part. So yesterday one of my dogs broke out of her cage and set off the motion detector. It was about 1:15pm and I had a meeting at 2:30pm. So I had a bit over an hour to get home, fix the cage, get the dogs back in their crates, and get back to the office. I couldn't miss the meeting as it was with my CEO. So I had a tight timeline and a hard deadline to be back. It's pouring rain as I leave the office but I've got to get home and get back so I'm driving a bit faster and more aggressively than I normally would. These tires DID NOT spin until the very last light before getting back to the office. Sitting at the turn signal, it's just about 2:20. The guy in front of me doesn't move when the light turns green; I give him a blast from the horn after a couple seconds. He still doesn't move so I move to go around him. Then he starts to go and try to outrun me through the corner. Guys, I finally made these tires spin ... full throttle through a corner in the rain. They spun all the way through the corner but there was 0 lateral movement. Before anybody says anything about it being dangerous, yeah it was. I know it, don't need anyone to tell me so. That's not the point of this story. The point of this story is these tires grip like a **** even in ridiculous situations.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
sounds like they are holding up nicely so far. any better pictures of them on your truck?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I was in LA last week, our local rep has some on his driver, I liked them. Slight hum, but rode good.

Attachments

• 20160916_103412.jpg
    20160916_103412.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
sounds like they are holding up nicely so far. any better pictures of them on your truck?

Either I never took any or I lost them when I transferred everything to a new phone last week. I'm having a hard time finding anything. As long as it's not raining when I leave work tonight, I'll snap a couple and post 'em up.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the detailed updates. With your information I'll be replacing my tires with a set.

If you find time, I would also like to see them mounted on your truck.