Kensun or opt7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC_Ram909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm close to pulling the trigger on HIDs for the truck but not sure which one to get. I'm between the Kensun or Opt7 HID kits 6k. The Kensuns seem to have very good reviews on amazon (4.5 stars) whereas Opt 7 has 4 stars but the price point is much lower on the Opt7. Does anyone have any experience with either kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm close to pulling the trigger on HIDs for the truck but not sure which one to get. I'm between the Kensun or Opt7 HID kits 6k. The Kensuns seem to have very good reviews on amazon (4.5 stars) whereas Opt 7 has 4 stars but the price point is much lower on the Opt7. Does anyone have any experience with either kit?

Don't order either. I ordered the Opt7 for my truck and ended up having to cut wires and switch them around on the main relay going to my trucks headlight plug because they were backwards for the high/low's and the kit was nothing but trouble because it's universal.

Order a drop in kit from retroshop.us . They are built specifically for our trucks and work right out of the box. Besides that, you get Morimoto brand stuff and is the best HID brand out there right now. It's not much more then the Opt7 kit you would need.

P.S. If you end up ordering the Opt7 or Kensun kit and you have the duals stock you need the BiXenon CanBus HID kit with the relay, capacitors, etc. If you have quads or projectors then you can get the regular CanBus HID kit. But you will need the capacitors/antiflicker kit no matter what. This is why you should just order the kit from retroshop. It comes with exactly everything you need from the start, no missing parts and the quality is top notch.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 on going with the morimoto kits. I got mine from retroshop but they have the same kits available direct from Diode Dynamics as well as Light Werks. I went with RS because of the customer service and all the excellent reviews on this forum for Jeremy. Kit is 100% plug and play with CANBUS adapters for my year truck (14) the 15+ require a relay harness but that's also super simple to hook up if you have basic mechanical skills

Citymoto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are these the harnesses I need if I go with the non morimoto kits? Also I will need it for the fogs too right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J...g_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0DRTFP3NQXK1G37BYMFR

That will not work I spoke to people at opt7 and their reply was our mopar spec lighting is very sensitive.

However you can go with retro shop I've heard nothing but good things. I went with https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/mopar-spec-2015-low-beam.html

Anything else is a waste of time there is a reason why that harness is $8 and mine is $100 mine works

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are these the harnesses I need if I go with the non morimoto kits? Also I will need it for the fogs too right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J...g_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0DRTFP3NQXK1G37BYMFR

I got the Opt7 for my old 06 Quad Cab Ram and it eventually worked but I had to cut and spliced wires and switch all kinds of plugs around.... it was a huge mess and took over 8 hours to finally hook everything up right and figure out which wires went where because the instructions were useless because if you hooked it up that way it did NOT work on the 06 Rams.

Don't order the Kensun or the Opt7 kit. You are literally wasting money. You will get the kit and in the end it will not work for the 09+ Rams. You will then be out $60- $120 and have nothing to show for it.

Just buy the drop in kit from Retroshop.us. I'm pretty sure it's $150 and that's only like $40 more than the Opt7 kit if you buy the relay too. The kit from Retroshop is the best on the market and it's made for one vehicle and one vehicle only; the Ram. The Opt7 and Kensun kits are made for 100s of universal vehicles and they don't work on the Rams tricky CanBus system.

I can guarantee if you order the Opt7 or the Kensun kit, you will be back on these forums asking why it won't work and why it's flickering or one light works and the other doesnt.

Just save your money and buy the RetroShop drop in kit or don't buy any at all.

What kind of headlights do you have? Quads, Duals or stock Projectors?

Sent from hell via TapATalk