LED Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SymondsJos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Good evening all! New to the forum. 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi.

I have been wanting to upgrade my 1500 lights for a bit now. Headlights, fog, rear, everything. I would like to convert completely 100% to LED. No HID whatsoever.

Currently focused on the headlights. Looking to upgrade from the factory headlight assembly to some aftermarket setup. From my interweb searches, I found many headlight assemblies with LED, but they don't seem to be true 100% LED. That, and I am not sure what brands have better, more reliable products.

Looking for a black look, as my truck is white and most accessories will compliment in black. If its possible to get rid of the amber in the corners, that would be awesome.

I am also not very well versed in the terminology with headlights. I am working on it, but bear with me.

Advice from you is greatly appreciated on who has 100% LED headlight assemblies, and whether or not its a good product or junk. Love recommendations, and love to read any relevant threads you may know of.

Thanks you!

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am also set on getting led headlights but everyone argues that the light output downroad is not as good as Hid. The best I've seen online like YouTube is headlight revolution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put in some OEM black headlights and some Lightning Bright LED bulbs from Amazon, lows, highs and fogs. HUGE HUGE difference.

Attachments

• 100_2302.jpg
    100_2302.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_2354.jpg
    100_2354.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 85

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always heard that HIDs in stock reflectors are bad.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always heard that HIDs in stock reflectors are bad.

That is very true. But the bulbs above your post are LED and *uaually spread the light the same as the halogen/incandescent counterparts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SymondsJos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had it in mind that they would have an assembly that was built specifically for LED. Prewired for the drivers and diodes, etc. Is it just that they sell the lamps and cables that then fit in existing fixtures?

Basically, is my only real option finding a good assembly, then converting the HID OR halogen lamps to LED with the same sort of kit as AO5GSHO?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Indeed, I was referring to BigMike27's post. I'm planning on going LED myself when I replace or paint the headlights.

OP
OP
S

SymondsJos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So in terms of the headlight assembly, what do you all have? What brands do you go with, or like? I see a lot of these projector style out and about. Is projector style any good? I love the look they have, but I do want to get the maximum output possible from LED's.

I think I have an idea on what these "halo" lights are, and i don't really care to much about those.

OP
OP
S

SymondsJos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So in terms of the headlight assembly, what do you all have? What brands do you go with, or like? I see a lot of these projector style out and about. Is projector style any good? I love the look they have, but I do want to get the maximum output possible from LED's.

I think I have an idea on what these "halo" lights are, and i don't really care to much about those.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Projectors are the best but not the aftermarket ones you see on ebay. Those are made for halogen bulbs.

Also those LED don't work well in projector housings from what I read on here. I always wanted to try them but don't want to waste $100 if they suck.

OP
OP
S

SymondsJos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OK, so after days of wonderful in depth thought, i concluded that i would give way to going with HID for low and high beam.

I still want to go projector style and still replace the assembly as a whole. I know this JJ is the guy everyone brings up, but his lights seem outrageously expensive.

I am liking this assembly from Spec-D

https://www.carid.com/2013-dodge-ra...ctor-headlights-348396737.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|1500#reviews

All LED except where i will go HID on high/low.

Ive been reading lately about converting projectors to HID... and i am at a complete loss. Do i replace the entire projector light with HID? Do i need any special kits? I cant seem to find any good answers.

Again, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been reading lately about converting projectors to HID... and i am at a complete loss. Do i replace the entire projector light with HID? Do i need any special kits? .

You could do a simple retrofit into your OEM headlights. That's what I did.

You'd need:

Projectors
Hid kit
Harness

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just pulled these Spec D's off my tuck. I really liked them. However, if you have a lifted truck, they are not compatible and I do not recommend them as they do not have an option to adjust the beam other than putting some spacers in the top mounting bolt to tilt them downward. Unfortunately, that is not sufficient.

I replaced them with the same quads A05GSHO pictured in a previous post on your thread, except I got them with the clear sidemarker rather than the amber. $120 off ebay. Now, I need to upgrade the bulbs and would like to go HID, but seems some say you can and others say you can't. LED will suffice just to get anything brighter in there. Will follow this to see what info comes about.

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_084751.jpg
    IMG_20171020_084751.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20171020_084855.jpg
    IMG_20171020_084855.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didnt even think that was possible. Does it require any modification to the oem assembly?

As for the necessary items, does the following look correct?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...+Lights)&preselect=53737&preselect_restrict=1

Unsure if this is a decent setup or not, imagine ill find myself picking through the forums later for good kits.

You have to open up your Oem headlights...that's the not so fun part. That kit looks correct. I'd reccomend having a second pair of headlights available to run while your building the retro pair. Mine ended up taking like 3 weeks.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If going to aftermarket LEDs just keep in mind that you need Canbus "decoder" boxes on each since the pcm looks for the factory default current & when it sees different it gives a warning light on the dash. DON'T buy the 6 ohm parallel resistors you see online. They are 50w resistors and unless you heatsink them they will get to over 350 deg F.

Does anyone know if the dealer can reprogram the desired current levels to allow using 2 amp LEDs instead of the 4amp hallogens?