Led headlights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haagster89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to upgrade my regular halogen bulbs to some nice led lights. I have a few questions. First I swapped my stock quads to oem projectors and had to buy resistors for them to work. Would I need to take those off or keep them on if I installed LEDs. Second question what kind would I need? What's the best brand to get? What type would I get from my fog lights? Any recommendations?? Personal reviews?? Anything will help

OP
OP
H

Haagster89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not throw hids in your projectors?

I'm worried about the price would sky rocket with hids and I have heard that they like to flicker a lot and like to shut off or go out. I'm not very educated on hids. I know a little more about LEDs

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not if you get a quality kit. Theretrofitsource.com and run the correct relay harness and you won't have worry about flickering. Now if you throw in some generic Chinese eBay kit there's that chance you'll have problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
H

Haagster89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not if you get a quality kit. Theretrofitsource.com and run the correct relay harness and you won't have worry about flickering. Now if you throw in some generic Chinese eBay kit there's that chance you'll have problem

What about for some fog lights? Would I need LEDs for them? Would I have two different looking light colors ?

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Generally
For fog lights led > hids but that doesn't always work out some stock foglights aren't very useable and are more for aesthetics.

For headlights hids are still superior... now that's granted you already have projector in your headlights (if it was just the standard reflector setup I wouldn't recommend hids because they scatter light and blind the hell out of incoming traffic) but since you have the oem style projector your good.

I would have a look here and wait for TRS to release a set of they're vertical gigs I've used there led in other vehicles and been nothing but happy with them.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/morimoto_vertical_fog_coming-105682/

OP
OP
H

Haagster89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What style bulb would I need? Do I need different bulbs for high beams or are they the same bulbs for low and high

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For headlights hids are still superior... now that's granted you already have projector in your headlights (if it was just the standard reflector setup I wouldn't recommend hids because they scatter light and blind the hell out of incoming traffic) but since you have the oem style projector your good.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/morimoto_vertical_fog_coming-105682/

Can't say I've seen the HID for his setup but from what i see LED's give more light output these days and are much cheaper. Also from what I've read, HID's take a minute or so to get to full brightness.

I just searched Ebay for the type bulbs I needed, for my quads its an H11 low beam. Works great good & bright. I initially bought a set with canbus boxes (total about 32 bucks)and they had a large heat sink which prevented me from getting the dust covers back on so I cut back the heat sink and ran them out of the truck to measure temperature & they still ran cool (about 110 def F which isn't bad). Got cover back on & they have been in for almost 2 months with no issues. I did find another set that has the fans and they fit. cost 12 bucks on ebay so I got them as backups. They were very slightly on the blue side (I only noticed because I had one of them and one of the original LEDs). I don't think you would notice if you just put them in. They light up the road great. Just check & see what kind of clearance there is between the bulb mounting socket & your housing's dust covers. My biggest problem wasn't the cover but the fact that the bulb wasn't dead center behind the cover but more to the side (bad housing design).

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think LEDs are catching up to HIDs, but not quite. That being said, I'd still go with LEDs myself. But then I don't have projectors either, and not sure I want them.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Any led that you can buy now for the most part is not designed for projectors and usually wont fit in the oem style projectors. They will not perform properly.

Contact Jeremy retroshop. He will get you set up with all you need for HID's

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any led that you can buy now for the most part is not designed for projectors and usually wont fit in the oem style projectors. They will not perform properly.

Contact Jeremy retroshop. He will get you set up with all you need for HID's

x2. LEDs are superior in LED Projectors (designed for LEDs that you see in high end vehicles). HID's are superior in standard HID/halogen projectors.

As soon as I get money, I will be putting in stock projectors (or TYC) with HIDs from retroshop like I had on my '03.