LED lighting causing truck to think a bulb is out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soapstreet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK guys. I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Ram Sport. This thing is the total package with lift, wheels, exhaust, light bar and low miles. My question is this: he said with all of the led tail lights and led running lights that he added, when turning, the audible turn signal sound is rapid. And the truck warns that bulbs are out at start up.

Is there a way to combat this issue without going back to stock?

Thanks for the help!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You need to add a resistor to the effected circuits so the computer sees the correct amperage being used. I never thought about it before, but it seems self defeating to put lower power consumption/heat LED's in and then have to put in a power consuming/heat generating component to get them to agree with the truck...lol

OP
OP
S

Soapstreet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know which socket the 2014 Ram 1500 uses for the front turn signals? 1157?

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
id make him fix that issue before buying it.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
It seems he got those switchbacks from Diode Dynamics. You should send them a request, they will send you those resistors for free.

OP
OP
S

Soapstreet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
id make him fix that issue before buying it.

I'm really not that worried about it. I can always put stock bulbs back in or by 2 resistor's for about the cost of 2 bulbs.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
If it's a 2014 Sport it should have come stock with projector headlights with the LED boards for turn signals and LED tail lights and therefore this shouldn't be an issue. Are you sure you're actually look at a Sport truck or is it an Express that the owner tried to turn into a Sport by swapping the lights? (which still doesn't make it a sport FYI)

OP
OP
S

Soapstreet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's a 2014 Sport it should have come stock with projector headlights with the LED boards for turn signals and LED tail lights and therefore this shouldn't be an issue. Are you sure you're actually look at a Sport truck or is it an Express that the owner tried to turn into a Sport by swapping the lights? (which still doesn't make it a sport FYI)

It is a sport. It has the 8.5" Uconnect radio and has navigation. He said he upgraded to HID.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Don't want to be annoying but please ask if he installed switchbacks from DD)))
Do you have white LED light for the daylight?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
It is a sport. It has the 8.5" Uconnect radio and has navigation. He said he upgraded to HID.

HID's and LED's are completely different things. There's still something fishy going on with this if it's hyperflashing with stock headlights and taillights. It should have been programmed for those from the start.
HID headlights would be a completely separate issue.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ask him if he broke a tail light and replaced with a tyc, i did this and the tyc light caused hyperflash and a warning, aside from that if it is a sport and not an express it came with led tail lights and led turn signals, unless like mentioned the led board was swapped for switchbacks

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

So does my Express.

You definitely want to make sure it's actually a Sport if you're spending Sport money. You can make an Express have pretty much every feature as a Sport, but you'll never get the money for it if you sell it on later or are in a wreck. It's going to pop up as an Express (ST, actually) by the VIN and that's it.

All of the turn signals in a Sport are LED from the factory, so there is something wrong if you're getting hyper flash. Do you have any photos of the truck?

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I have the same problem on my rebel. I took my blue led licence plate lights out and put in the new ride. Every time I start it it says license plate light out... funny I can see both of them working in my rear cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk