LED trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jglass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I installed 2 18w 4" LED pods on the back of my 2013. I tied them into the trailer hitch wiring, and they work great. I put the truck in reverse they come on, I flip the manual switch they come on. All is well...until. Until I am backing up and look at my camera display, and it's all fuzzy.

I installed these off the reverse, ground, and battery constant wires on the hitch (I attached a diagram of how I did it). I metered my diodes to make sure I wasn't getting any feedback from the reverse or constant wires. Nothing, not even MV. So I'm left with 2 possibilities. 1 in getting some kind of EMF interference from the wires running parallel with the camera wires. Or 2 the shared ground is doing it.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20160318_203620.jpg
    20160318_203620.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_2016-03-18-20-58-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-18-20-58-04.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 114

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both sound plausible. I would check the easy route first. Ground them to the frame and see if that fixes the problem.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Ok, I was going to post about this but was going to figure it on my own first.

I'm having the same, now I don't have the factory camera. It's a aftermarket one tied into my pionner HU.

I haven't messed around with it yet, but my ground is tied into the led tailgate bar and the power is tapped into the trailer hitch reverse power.

And when the lights come on the camera video just looks wavy. Still have a picture but something is messing with it.

The only think I can think of is the light drawing too much power on the trailer wire and need to be run to the battery.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Could be a power/ amperage thing? Not enough for the camera due to leds?

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very possible. It will have 12v but might not have enough amperage for both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Try grounding to the frame. I'm thinking EMI. I've experienced it with LEDs before.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jglass

jglass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try grounding to the frame. I'm thinking EMI. I've experienced it with LEDs before.

Mine is grounded to the frame. Also, I pulled the wire run loose and wrapped it in foil, and grounded the foil just to see if I was picking up any interference. Same thing.

I'm going to run a direct wire to the battery tomorrow morning to see if that works. If it does, then I'll use a relay off the reverse trigger.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting, did you grind down to bare metal? Maybe it's a poor ground?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That certainly looks more like an EMI issue than a lighting level issue. Easiest thing to try a different ground in a slightly different location.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
can you try "isolating" the lights by running them off a relay? Not sure if you're already doing this. Yes, it's more wiring but to me, its worth the trouble.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What is the little rectangle on your schematic and what are the diodes supposed to do in your circuit? There should be no voltage feedback from the trailer on the REV pin and this circuit would prevent voltage to the trailer if "HITCH" = trailer plug.

OP
OP
jglass

jglass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the little rectangle on your schematic and what are the diodes supposed to do in your circuit? There should be no voltage feedback from the trailer on the REV pin and this circuit would prevent voltage to the trailer if "HITCH" = trailer plug.

The reverse and a constant + are going to the lights. Reverse goes directly to the lights +, and the constant + through a manual switch. I don't want one back feeding into the other when being used, so the triangle with the line is showing where I put my diodes.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to try a different ground today if I get time. There's a bolt for the bumper I'm going to use.

What I noticed with mine is, the camera video is only fuzzy with the truck on. With the just the accessory on and put it in reverse. The camera video looks fine.

OP
OP
jglass

jglass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running a different ground helped some, by there was still some interference. So I ran directly to the battery + and - then used a relay off the reverse light wire, and that fixed it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you ran the negative to the battery too? Too the negative terminal?

Really didn't want to run them off a switch, for the main reason having to run wires the length of my truck. lol

Gotta a little diagram of how you wires the relay off the reverse light wire?

They still come on when when you put in reverse, but the switch has to be on right?

OP
OP
jglass

jglass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you ran the negative to the battery too? Too the negative terminal?

Really didn't want to run them off a switch, for the main reason having to run wires the length of my truck. lol

Gotta a little diagram of how you wires the relay off the reverse light wire?

They still come on when when you put in reverse, but the switch has to be on right?

I can draw one up. I wanted my switch to be able to turn on the lights when it was not in reverse. My goal was to have a light when I was skinning a deer or getting dressed to go to a treestand.

I'll draw one up when I get home.