Michelin LTX AT2 or Cooper Discoverer AT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife is on every email list in the world.

She got an email from Sears saying the Coopers were on sale for $164 per tire and have a $70 mail in rebate for four. She also got an email from Costco saying that they have a special on Michelin Tires that they are charging a penny per tire for mounting and also have an instant factory rebate for Four tires of $70.

So my question is which tire would everyone recommend? With the reviews I have read here and on various tire sites it seems the Michelin is a great road tire but seems lacking in the snow while the Cooper it seems is better in the snow but has mixed reviews on tread wear. My driving is 95%+ on paved roads and my off roading is light, primarily unmaintained fire roads and farm fields to hunt. My truck I bought used last year used and it has a leveling kit so I am leaning to the Coopers due to the more aggressive looks, price and apparent snow performance. Price is not the primary factor in making my decision performance is.

With these deals she has I can get a set of 4 Coopers for less than $700 and the Michelins for about $890.

I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on what to do!

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

She got an email from Sears saying the Coopers were on sale for $164 per tire and have a $70 mail in rebate for four. She also got an email from Costco saying that they have a special on Michelin Tires that they are charging a penny per tire for mounting and also have an instant factory rebate for Four tires of $70.

So my question is which tire would everyone recommend? With the reviews I have read here and on various tire sites it seems the Michelin is a great road tire but seems lacking in the snow while the Cooper it seems is better in the snow but has mixed reviews on tread wear. My driving is 95%+ on paved roads and my off roading is light, primarily unmaintained fire roads and farm fields to hunt. My truck I bought used last year used and it has a leveling kit so I am leaning to the Coopers due to the more aggressive looks, price and apparent snow performance. Price is not the primary factor in making my decision performance is.

With these deals she has I can get a set of 4 Coopers for less than $700 and the Michelins for about $890.

Michelin over the coopers. My last set of Cooper didn't last more than a year. 30k we'll give it. And all four were even wear at 25% passenger rear was 10% at the end of their life. Will not be getting Cooper's after that experience. They were the stock 275-60-20. Now I'm running the toyo open country at3 295-55-20 and i have no complaints in them yet. Great tires good snow traction. Good off-road traction when needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Michelin AT2's. They have about 30k on them. Most of my driving is hiway(about 80%). They are the best tires I have ever had regarding their performance on wet roads and in the rain. Have only driven in snow twice and they did well. They are quite and are wearing very well. After I put them on and raised the truck with Bil's set at 2.1 I found I lost about 1.5-2mpg. Would highly recommend them, and I will buy them again. Never had Cooper's and don't know anything about them.
Jay

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Michelin AT2's. They have about 30k on them. Most of my driving is hiway(about 80%). They are the best tires I have ever had regarding their performance on wet roads and in the rain. Have only driven in snow twice and they did well. They are quite and are wearing very well. After I put them on and raised the truck with Bil's set at 2.1 I found I lost about 1.5-2mpg. Would highly recommend them, and I will buy them again. Never had Cooper's and don't know anything about them.
Jay

Could you post a picture of them on your truck and what size are you running?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on my 3rd set of LTXs. First set on my RAM. 275/60/20.

They are very quiet and I got 60-70k out of the first two sets. Rain/Dry traction great. Snow traction ok for a non snow rated tire.

Bought all three sets from America Discount Tire.

Leveled, Bilsteins at 2.1- no drop in Mpg.

I have never owned Coopers so no help there.

4af9060aa319f8bc97ebc8c28553f15a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Tire brand and tire wear is like politics and religion, you will get tons of different opinions/experiences.
Poster number 2 didn't have very good tread wear, I on the other hand got 75 thousand plus miles out of my Cooper AT3s on my Frontier=2 sets, 188 thousand.
Now, I am on another set on my Ram, I will be a AT3 buyer for life.
As you will see, tread wear will be all over the map.

Attachments

• 02-11-17 Mud Flap 6.jpg
    02-11-17 Mud Flap 6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I have cooper atw p275/60/20 love them great on wet roads had two heavy rains already and its winter lol very good on snow and good on ice and can be left on all year long. they have a very stiff side wall as they bounce a little but that's good as I pull a fifth wheel.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The Michelin's will wear longer and have heard nothing but good things about them. I don't have either but on paper I personally find Michelin to be cheaper per mile that is reason I run BFG the cost per mile and benefits while driving pay off even though they are expensive upfront.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would look at the Michelin LTX Defenders, I have the Cooper AT3 but would have gotten the Michelins if they would have been offered in the size I wanted

Michelins are simply is best

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As requested, picture of truck and the tire size is 275x60x20.
Jay

Attachments

• DSCN0862.jpg
    DSCN0862.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN0851.jpg
    DSCN0851.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 302

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The Michelins ( I own ) are great in wet and dry, but SUK in the snow. I mean to the point where they are a hazard in every sense of the word. If you live where there is NO snow, then you are golden ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Michelins ( I own ) are great in wet and dry, but SUK in the snow. I mean to the point where they are a hazard in every sense of the word. If you live where there is NO snow, then you are golden ...

+1. The Cooper AT3 and Hankook Dynapro ATm tires can run circles around the Michelin AT2 tires in the snow.

Had a set of the LTX AT2 tires on my truck for about half a year. I would call them an aggressive all season tire more than a real all terrain. Great in dry and rain. However, if you got into anything close to an inch (or more) of snow, they were worthless. Hated them all winter until my tire shop ran their annual tire sale. The Cooper AT3 that my mother has on her Grand Cherokee get nothing but glowing reviews so far, she's had them for a few thousand miles now.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Cooper = better tire for what it is but does not last
The Mics = last longer but will not perform as well

SO if you are looking for an off-road tire to run on the street take the Mics. If you are doing real off-roading get the Coopers.

My personal opinion - I take no respectability for the content

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ran the cooper AT3 tire. It's just a damn good tire. Does everything you want and more. I was about 70-30 on and off road like hunting etc. rarely had to put in 4x4 when in the slick stuff. Just a darn good tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went with the Coopers. Between the more aggressive looks, what people here confirmed that it was better in the snow and the significant cost savings I just couldn't turn them down.

As long as I get about 40k out of them the savings more than offset the mileage most people have said they were able to get from their Michelins or Goodrich AT KO2'S.

I already have gotten compliments about how good they look on my truck. I will post pics soon.

Thanks for all of the info. :happy107:

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear it man, I really like my AT3's no telling how many miles they had when I bought the truck because they were already on there.
IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/570a1c2618af881c1b4b7a63a128ea99.jpg[/IMG]

But I've put 6k on my truck since then and here's a pic from this past weekend.
3f5877a877a12cd075b90391ac16b4bf.jpg

No change lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro